Q. Please let me know my HIV status based on the test reports.

What do this reports indicate? After one-year exposure, following tests were taken HIV 1 and 2, western blot, which was negative. HIV-1 RNA PCR qualitative- non-detectable. Please let me know whether I am positive or negative for HIV.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
MBBS ., DVD., MD COMMUNITY MEDICINE
Community Medicine, Dermatology, HIV/AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine, Venereology

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a confirmatory test. It is done after one year of exposure. You are free from HIV. You can allay fears of HIV from that exposure. Forget about the incident and lead a normal and safe life. You can get back for any clarification.

Thank you for the reply. But my HIV 1 PCR RNA report shows not detectable instead of not detected. Does it make any difference? Please tell me what my HIV 1 PCR RNA report indicates. Whether positive or negative? Do I need to repeat the test?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
MBBS ., DVD., MD COMMUNITY MEDICINE

Thank you for the follow-up query. Both mean the same. HIV virus genetic components are not detectable. You are free from HIV. So, allay fears of HIV. There is no need to repeat the test.

Also Read Answers From

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist »