Q. What is the possibility of acquiring HIV after six years of protected sex?

My friend had a protected sex six years back. Until now, she does not have any symptoms still. Currently, she is going to marry another guy, but she is having a fear of HIV. Is it possible to get HIV? Are there any chances she too gets any HIV after long? She does not take any test up to now. How reliable if she tests? Please explain. Your answer gives her motivation.

#

I can understand your concern and questions arising in her mind. She had done protected sex before six years. If she has used precautions as you mention, then there is no chance of acquiring HIV infection.

However, if she is not sure about using condoms, she can get tested for HIV by rapid card test. After six weeks and maximum after three months of exposure, any antibody test can rule out HIV. But as I have mentioned, if she has used a condom, there is no chance of HIV and no need for any testing.

Is there any chance to get HIV if she had unprotected sex after six years?

#

If she has done unprotected sex, then there is a chance of acquiring infection of the partner is HIV positive. But you have mentioned in the history that she had only protected sex at that time. If the partner is positive, if she had done any unprotected sex without a condom, then there is a chance of acquiring HIV infection.

In such a case, HIV testing should be done after six months of exposure to rule out HIV exclusively.

|