Q. Why do I have itchy skin with hives after intercourse?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

After sex, I always find myself having strong, clear watery discharge for about four to seven days. Today I found myself having an itchy skin with hives. Could this be a sign of semen allergy? I also experience a burning sensation on the outside of genitals which makes it difficult for us to insert the penis.

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Andrology Diabetology Sexology

I can understand your concern. Yes, you may have sperm allergy, that can be easily found by using a condom. Next time use a condom during sex and check whether you have discharge after that.

Other cause can be due to

1. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are two of the most common causes of vaginal discharge, early diagnosis and antibiotics will help you.

2. If there is urinary tract infections with increased frequency of urination, irritation during urination, lower abdominal pain then urine culture will help to diagnose these conditions.

3. Urethritis is damage to the urethra from intercourse or masturbation, irritation from a product such as soap, deodorant, or detergent, and it can also occur due to adenovirus, and genital injuries.

4. Candida infection can also cause watery discharge with itching. Smear from the discharge will help you diagnose and start early antifungal medication.

5 Trichomoniasis infection (sexually transmitted infection caused by a parasite) can cause vaginal discharge too, and it can be diagnosed by swab or urine sample.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have further doubts, I would be happy to help you.

Can burning sensation of throat occur from acid reflux?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old male. I just like to share a problem with you related to my throat. For the last 10 days or so, I am feeling a scratch or burning like sensation behind the uvula. I do not have any problem with eating. The sensation tends to remain silent at night during sleep, but agai...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Burning sensation behind throat is most commonly caused due to acid reflux. It can be also due to chronic smoking. As you smoke and drink, you have much more chance of acid reflux. I suggest you to avoid spicy, oily food for two weeks and tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 m...  Read Full

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get an allergy testing done, either a skin prick or a blood comprehensive. Next, based on the allergens you are sensitive to, we can advise you on further course of action. With respect to getting tolerant to Cetirizine 10 mg, why not try Fexofenadine 120 or 180...  Read Full

How to know whether I am allergic to mango or not?

Query: Hello doctor, I have mango allergy, and I am wondering if mango concentrate can cause an allergic reaction. I had mango juice, and I did not break out at all, but last year I had an allergic reaction that was from mangoes or peal, that were hives and swelling. Before I turned 18, I was eating mango...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to identify which part of the mango are you allergic to and avoid it. Is it the juice or for the peal? Also, any particular variety of mango needs to be identified like banganapalli, alphonso, etc. If recurring with all the variety of mangoes then try to avo...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now