Q. Laryngoscopy for voice hoarseness shows nodule in vocal cord. How to manage it?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I am 70 years old. I am feeling hoarseness in my voice for some time. A doctor suggested laryngoscopy, and in the scan, there is a nodule in my vocal cord. What should I do now? Should I remove it or just go with medication?

#

Thanks for providing a brief history and the endoscopic picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

A vocal nodule is a benign lesion situated on the true vocal cord. This is not cancerous and not lethal, not requiring immediate surgery. However, hoarseness will persist until and unless this lesion is surgically removed through a procedure what we call as micro laryngeal laser surgery. This procedure is done under general anesthesia and you will have to be fit for anesthesia before surgery.

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we come across. The lesion cannot be effectively removed conservatively and in most cases surgery is the treatment of choice.

|