Q. What is the reason for change of voice in my 6-year-old kid?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

My daughter is 6 years old. Her voice has changed for more than 15 days now. I completed five days course as per doctor's recommendation of Augmentin DDs suspension 5ml three times a day and Omnacortil forte syrup 3 ml three times a day. But her voice has not completely recovered. There are no other symptoms like pain or cough or cold.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The probable reason for the change in voice in this age group having a nasal twang is mostly due to adenoid hypertrophy. If you feel she snores at night, has mouth breathing with a nasal intonation to the voice, it could definitely be adenoid hypertrophy.

Adenoids are present in all of us and represent the first line of defense for the nose (likewise, tonsils do the same for the throat). In this age group, the size of the adenoids do increase in size and may or may not be associated with tonsillitis. The picture that you have sent does not represent any obvious tonsillitis out there (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

For now the child can follow the advice mentioned below:

1. Mometasone nasal spray two puffs in each nostril two times a day for the next six weeks.

2. Syrup Sinarest (Aceclofenac, Chlorpheniramine, and Pseudoephedrine) 5 ml two times a day for the next one week.

3. Otrivin P nasal drops three drops three times a day for one week.

4. Avoid cold food, drinks, and junk items.

This can take approximately two weeks for things to normalize and there is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is an extremely common scenario that we come across. I hope this helps.

|