Q. My pregnancy test showed two faint lines. Should I go to the doctor or wait for a week?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2020

Hello doctor I have history of Thyroid and PCOS, i am taking 50mg of eltroxin. my period is delayed by 6 days .when I tested preganacy test after 4 days of period days two lines are showing but not clearly. please suggest me can I go to doctor for a checkup or wait for 1 week for clear result. or what type of precaution I should take during pregnancy?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hello, Welcome to Icliniq.

I see than you haven't mentioned the date of your last menstrual period. Ideally, if you have had a regular 28days cycles, the urine pregnancy test is usually positive by the time you skip your periods.

Delayed ovulation can be common in PCOS, So, I would suggest you to recheck your home pregancy test with an early morning urine sample tomorrow, and exactly at the time interval at which the result has to be read as mentioned on the kit. Sometimes if seen very late , the evaporation line also may seem as faintly positive which is actually a false positive.

Early morning urine sample is supposed to be having concentrated levels of the Beta HCG hormone which is detected on the pregnancy kit. So recheck again tomorrow with a morning sample of urine.

If you donot have any pain or spotting, you can visit your Gynaecologist at ease, may be in a week, and get an ultrasound done for pregnancy viability and localisation.

Meanwhile continue taking folic acid & Eltroxin Medications & recheck your thyroid levels as during the pregnancy the dose may have to be changed due to increased requirements in pregnancy.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to revert back anytime for any further queries or Information.

- Continue Tablet Folic acid 5mg daily once till 14weeks.
- Continue Tablet Eltroxin 50mcg daily once.

- Avoid sexual intercourse in the first 4months of pregnancy.

|