Q. My pregnancy test showed two faint lines. Should I go to the doctor or wait for a week?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 08, 2021

I have a history of thyroid and PCOS. I am taking Eltroxin 50 mg. My period got delayed by six days. I did a pregnancy test after four days of delayed period and I have two lines that are not shown clearly. Please suggest. Do I need to go to a doctor for a checkup? or Do I need to wait for a week to have a clear result? What are the precautions to be taken during pregnancy?

#

You have not mentioned your last menstrual period. If you have a regular 28 days cycle, then a urine pregnancy test shows a positive result as you have a delay in periods. Delayed ovulation occurs commonly in PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and so I suggest you recheck your home pregnancy test in the early morning with a fresh urine sample and follow the time interval to read the result as mentioned on the kit. Sometimes, the evaporation line is seen as faintly positive when it is seen late. It actually shows a false-positive result.

Early morning urine samples have concentrated levels of beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotrophin) hormones and so it is detected on the pregnancy kit. So recheck it again tomorrow with a new morning sample of urine. If you do not have pain or spotting, you can consult a gynecologist in a week and do an ultrasound to know about pregnancy viability and localization. Continue taking Folic acid and Eltroxin (Thyroxine). Recheck your thyroid levels during pregnancy and the dose needs to be changed due to its increased requirements in pregnancy.

You can continue taking tablet Folic acid 5 mg daily till 14 weeks and continue taking tablet Eltroxin 50 mcg (Thyroxine) daily.

Avoid having sexual intercourse in the first four months of pregnancy.

|