Q. Can Plan B cause changes in breast size?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

I am a 26-year-old female with some concerns about breast health. The left is getting bigger, and the right is getting smaller. This is most noticeable in a couple of weeks leading to my period. They both used to get a little bigger and tender, but now the left is painful and absolutely nothing for the right. It is not tender but a kind of numb feeling. I have noticed a rash once or twice, too around the right, but that could have just been an irritation. My mom had breast cancer twice, with her first case being at 29. She is BRCA negative, and both times she had it, it was estrogen positive. I first noticed just the left side responding/changing because of hormonal fluctuations after taking Plan B. I wonder why the right side is shrinking and does not change when my hormones fluctuate while the left side is swollen and hurts. Does this sound concerning at all?

#

I went through your query. Minor changes in size and shape of breasts are quite common. The hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle or oral formulations that contain hormones also lead to breast changes.

However, if the other breast shrinks or changes in shape or size significantly, it is a matter of concern that requires evaluation. Excessive painful breasts are uncommonly due to hormonal disturbances. The rash you described could be due to irritation. However, if it persists or becomes bigger or associated with nipple discharge, it needs an evaluation. Moreover, the positive family history of breast cancer also possesses an additional risk factor.

I would recommend you see a doctor for a check-up and do a self-breast examination.

Is it normal that the hormonal changes used to cause both breasts to change and be tender, and now it is just one while the other does not get bigger and feel tender?

#

Hormonal changes might affect selectively one breast as compared to the other as well. But the changes will not be much noticeable. However, as I mentioned before, if the unilateral breast changes like swelling and tenderness are very much noticeable, then it is always good to consult a doctor.

|