Q. My hair type is changing from straight to curly. Is it due to hormonal change?

Dr. Shama Naaz

Male, 15, 52kg, 174cm. Hair related questions

#

Hi, welcome to icliniq, Please tell me about your hair related problems. Any past history of illness ? Are you on any medication?

It’s not necessarily an illness I just want to ask a few questions on what’s possible and how

#

Okay, so please tell me what do you want to know.

As a person I’ve had stick straight hair my whole life up until around last year. it started getting a bit wavy , I didn’t think much of it and thought it might be damaged or something but that was until I went bald and it grew a bit harder and more brittle than before. As I did some research I found out that it changes due to puberty or other hormonal changes which in my case is most likely puberty. I’ve heard that it can change again to straight hair if hormonal changes apply is that true ?

#

Hair loss at young age, especially during puberty occurs due to sudden influx of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Excessive amounts of DHT have negative effects on hair regeneration. Other causes of hair loss can occur due to vitamin deficiencies or hereditary (if someone in your family has androgenetic alopecia).

Now some of the changes in hair can be reversible if the levels of hormone become normal, but there are some cases when it does not happen especially in androgenetic alopecia. But proper diet and hair care from the beginning can help to get a good and healthy hair growth, and there are excellent medical treatments available for hair loss. Diet rich in vitamin B7 are cooked eggs, sweet potato, avocados, nuts, seeds, liver and salmon.

I don’t think I’m suffering from hair loss in particular but just the change in hair type and texture as it used to be straight, soft and shiny and now it’s becoming a bit more hard , brittle and wavy which means it changed hair type, Considering I have a straight hair type gene within me is there a possibility in which I can use it to get my straight hair back? You pointed out that the hair changes can be reversible , if so how would that be possible and can I do it ?

#

The shape of our hair depends upon the hair follicle. You scalp contains differently shaped hair follicles. An individual bulb in hair follicles produces hair for 5-7 years and then goes into resting phase. If majority of hair follicles that were producing straight hair are in resting phase, and the other follicles are in growing phase, your hair texture and curl pattern can change. Yes, you can get back your straight hair back, because the pattern changes throughout life.

Oh that’s great to hear , So there’s no immediate thing I can currently do correct ? Also If I were to reach that stage in 5-7 years should I shave my hair off for it to occur or will it occur just with regular trims ? Is it 100% confirmed that I will get it back or are there certain things I have to do for it to happen ?

#

For getting immediate results, you can get a keratin treatment, it will give a smooth and silky texture to your hair. You should do deep conditioning by applying hair mask, once a week. You can apply argan oil with coconut oil, as it is rich in vitamin E, fatty acids and antioxidants, it will nourish and moisturise your hair and reduce brittleness and frizziness. Doing regular trimmings is fine, there is no need to shave, because hair follicles reside deep in the dermis and subcutaneous tissue, so will be no change in hair texture from shaving.

Alright sounds great , although the keratin treatment is an unnatural way of straightening hair hence why I was asking if there is a possibility of it naturally coming back to its regular straightness. Is there a possibility that in 5 years it won’t come back ? And what can I do to increase those odds ?

#

I mentioned the role of keratin treatment because our follicles are the biggest determinant of our hair shape but we cannot control this part of our hair, understanding the science of curly hair has allowed us to overcome the features genetics gave us.

Relaxing treatments take advantage of keratin’s ability and disulfide bond to change the structure of our hair to the state we want. If you have curly hair but want straight hair, then you just need to use chemicals that can break up, or “relax”, these bonds. The follicle is a much studied structure in medicine and biology , yet it is still not well understood, so its very difficult to say when will your straight hair come back. But there are some ways that can help you to manage your hair- Deep conditioning, applying smoothening serum and oils, blow dry your hair with cool hair and eating food that promote keratin production like eggs, onions, sweet potatoes, mangoes and salmon.

Sounds good , I’ll try some. Do you happen to know of any instances where someone had their hair changed due to puberty or hormonal changes and then changed back ? I’m panicking a bit because I’ve read that it’s only plausible for the first couple of cycles and that puberty is a leading factor in changing so I thought if there is anything I can do to get my hair naturally back to the way it was while I’m in the stage of hormonal changes before it’s too late

#

Sorry, but I have seen few cases during my residency, where there was a change in hair texture, but they were lost to follow up. But let me see what else I can do, to give you additional information or any therapy that would hasten the reversal process.

|