Q. Can high blood pressure cause hot flushes?

Dr. Afifa Nighat

I am a 51-year-old female. Height 5'4" weight 162. Yesterday evening, while in a stressful situation my face became hot & flushed. Assumed it was stress and possible first menopausal hot flash. This morning I woke up still hot, flashed, and my skin is tingling. That's also when I realized I had forgotten to take my Metoprolol (that I take for myocardial regurgitation). I then decided the flushing must be high blood pressure. I've taken this morning's dose. My question is: When should the flashing and tingling go away, and is there anything I can do to help quickly and safely lower my blood pressure? Thank you for your time and help.

#

Hello

welcome to icliniq!

hope you're doing well!

I have read your history and with this precise history number of factors can be responsible like as you mentioned such as emotional stress, menopausal, medication use pr thermoregulatory response.

Menopausal flashes typically lasts for 3-5 minutes & can recur upto 20 times a day. Quiting medication i.e. Beta blockers can cause flushes too and since you already have taken the dose , it should improve.

The best you can do is avoidance of hot beverages, spicy foods, cured meats, and alcohol. These may help you. If you continue to suffer from hot flushes, I would advise you to write it in a diary for a week, note duration and frequency & consult your physician as detailed history and physical examination is needed to establish definitive diagnosis. Good luck! Stay healthy!

|