Q. I am 29 years old and I am overweight. Kindly suggest some ways to lose weight.

Dr. Rahul Kackar

I am a 29-year-old female. I am overweight and having issues losing weight. I was 170 lbs at the starting of the year. I started to go to the gym 3 to 5 days a week. I decreased my drinking, and I only drink very low sugar beverages and made my eating healthier during the week. I am only down to 167 lbs. I have a TSH of 9.9, and I was told I would not experience any symptoms of low thyroid. I would like a second opinion.

#

In my opinion, you should start with low dose Levothyroxine replacement and gradually escalate the dose to keep TSH around 3. Secondly, remove bad carbs from your diet and fix your gut if you have any digestion issues. Continue with your physical exercises and try to prepone your dinner and try not to eat after 7 PM. Take green tea or warm water twice a day and avoid all carbonated and caffeinated drinks.

Thank you for the response.

Do you think that I could be experiencing symptoms from the low thyroid? Just because I was told otherwise.

#

A hypo-functioning thyroid gland will make you puffed up. If you are not able to lose weight despite all the efforts, then the thyroid certainly is playing a role.

|