Q. Kindly suggest some ways to reduce weight rather than gaining muscle.

Dr. Subharanjini Ramesh

I am a 17-year-old. I have been trying to lose weight for a while, I have been going to the gym for about a month and a half and have seen results only in the muscles, but I would like to tone up and lose weight rather than bulk up massively.

#

According to the reports provided (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you are 8 kgs overweight for your height which is easy to lose. You can concentrate on doing treadmill exercises or cycling rather than weight lifting or any other exercises which will cause muscle mass to increase. Since you are quite young, it is very easy to achieve your goal.

You can play outdoor games or go for brisk walking or cycling or jogging for one hour daily. This will also give you desired results instead of gymming.

The third option is you can do yogasanas or stretching exercises which will help in toning your body.

Regarding diet, eat healthy normal nutritious foods and restricting all kinds of junk foods.

Follow the food timings properly.

No binge eating. Keep yourself active the whole day.

Concentrate on eating healthy, and all kinds of fruits and vegetables, cereals and pulses, unsalted nuts are allowed. Dairy products and organ meats are allowed in restricted quantities.

Chicken or fish or egg can be taken.

Get back to me with your food habits, and I will change them if required.

|