Q. HSV 1/ 2(IGG) type-spec AB tested positive. Am I contagious?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I received some routine blood work (annual physical) and my results came in today. I noticed something that made my heart sank. HSV 1/ 2(IGG) type-spec AB tested positive with a reading of 33.10 H. What does this mean? Am I extremely contagious? I have never had a cold sore, nor do I now, and I have no symptoms.

#

1. In general population, around 50 to 75 % have HSV antibodies in the blood which they might have acquired at some time in the past life due to clinical or subclinical herpes infection.

2. If you do not have any active lesions you do not require any active treatment and neither are you extremely contagious, just as much as those 75 % others.

Nothing to worry if only tests are raised and no ulcer or vesicles.

| 

What does HSV IgG positive mean?

Query: Hi doctor, As my wife had a failed premature delivery, we both had given for chromosome test. The result showed positive for HSV IgG, rubella IgG and CMV IgG. We are very much bothered. Please tell us the reason for this. Does it mean that we are infected with that virus before? Please clarify.  Read Full »

Does HSV positivity indicate risk of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had an exposure with a CSW and precaution broke during the act. I do not know the HIV status of the girl. Four weeks later, I got a light fever which subsided in a week. I got a blood test that showed 11500 WBC with a bacterial infection. But, I have leg pai...  Read Full »

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»