Q. HSV 1/ 2(IGG) type-spec AB tested positive. Am I contagious?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I received some routine blood work (annual physical) and my results came in today. I noticed something that made my heart sank. HSV 1/ 2(IGG) type-spec AB tested positive with a reading of 33.10 H. What does this mean? Am I extremely contagious? I have never had a cold sore, nor do I now, and I have no symptoms.

#

1. In general population, around 50 to 75 % have HSV antibodies in the blood which they might have acquired at some time in the past life due to clinical or subclinical herpes infection.

2. If you do not have any active lesions you do not require any active treatment and neither are you extremely contagious, just as much as those 75 % others.

Nothing to worry if only tests are raised and no ulcer or vesicles.

|