Q. I have a white spot on my shaft with a swollen lymph node in the groin. Is this HSV?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I had sex last week, and the next morning I noticed a white rough, dry spot on my shaft. Then I started messing and irritated it because I was panicking it was HSV2. I then pick off the skin, and it started hurting and got red and raw. The skin came back over it then I peeled again. I went to the clinic, and the doctor said it looks like just a cut or skin tear and to put Neosporin on it. I did for five days, and it finally healed. I peeled it once more. My groin did hurt too, and still is. I am not sure if it is because I kept rubbing my groin lymph nodes to see if they were swollen or not. I have panicked about HSV before. And I am worried about seeing these symptoms this time. I do not have a fever, headache, or flu-like symptoms. I think it hurt to urinate one day but not too bad. I took pictures of the skin each day to track it. Would HSV happen the next morning that fast? Do the pictures look like it?

#

HSV (herpes simplex virus) is a sexually transmitted disease and will recur if not treated. Do you have any previous positive HSV report? If so, both the partners must have been treated with Acyclovir 400 mg thrice daily for a week. The other issue that can coexist with HSV is a fungal infection, which you need to apply Canesten (Clotrimazole) cream 1% on the penis twice daily for a week.

The cuts will come if you rub the skin or had unprotected intercourse, and you should allow six weeks for it to heal completely. So my advice is to stop intercourse or masturbating for six weeks. Apply Canesten cream for one week and take the Acyclovir course for one week.

I have never been positive about it before. And I am not sure about her. Do the pictures look like HSV? It healed in about six days, and I used bacterial Neosporin.

#

Yes, I doubt it is HSV (herpes simplex virus). It is classically looking like a fungal infection. So use Canesten cream 1% twice daily for a week. Your partner can use Canesten intravaginal pessaries once at night for seven days as well. Healing will take about six weeks. During this period, avoid sex or friction.

| 

Can Hydrozole be used for jock itch?

Query: Hi doctor, I had jock itch two months ago for the very first time. It is still there but fading. I started using Hydrozole cream two weeks ago, it seems to be working. How long it would take for a complete cure? After using this cream I fell some itch in legs. Now the groin skin appears red and ver...  Read Full »

Does rashes on penis mean sexually transmitted disease?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two months, I have been experiencing a minor rash on the crown of my penis. I have have been using antibacterial cream since then but it does not seem to recover. The rash occurred a month after I had an unprotected sex. No itch, no discharge, no pain while urinating or a...  Read Full »

I am getting repeated itchy rash on my penis. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I have been having itchy rashes and white layer on my penis with burning sensation. Since 20 days the symptoms subsided with Dettol hand wash. But again, it reappeared. Please help me.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»