Human Papilloma Virus

Human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most common virus that spreads through sexual contact. Infection with HPV can cause genital warts and cancer.

Is the small bump under my penis genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. My height is 6'1" and weight 163 lbs. I have a small bump under the shaft of my penis. It looks like that it could be from masturbation, but I am not sure. There is no itching or burning. It is not an open sore either. I recently had protected oral sex with a sex worker...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears to be a wart (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you have a history of HPV (human papilloma virus) in the past, the wart should be the first concern. HPV depending on the strain cause both genital and non-genital warts. They are not painfu...  Read Full »

There are recurrent cluster of bumps on the penis every three months. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a cluster of bumps on the penis. This has been going on and off for two years. I have this recurrent cluster of bumps. They appear at the same spot about every three months.   Read Full »

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your concern may be condylomata accuminata. It is a type of viral infection due to human papillomavirus. Do you have any history of unprotected sexual exposure? If yes, go for an STD panel investigation which includes: VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory). ...  Read Full »

Though I had HPV vaccine, I am getting warts. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a viral wart on my forehead. Is it caused by HPV? In my teenage, I had warts on my thumb. Even, my doctor gave me vaccine for HPV. Is that worth or useless?  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is confirmative for a verruca plana, which is a plane viral wart. All warts are caused by human papilloma virus (HPV); however the strains causing it are different. On the face, it is usually due to HP...  Read Full »

Why do I have black spots or moles near my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed some black spots near my penis that have been there for some time. I have also attached the images for your reference. What can be the cause of these black spots? Kindly advise.   Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and would be happy to help. I have seen the attachments shared by you (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). They are genital warts caused by HPV (human papillomavirus) infection and spread by sexual route. They can be trea...  Read Full »

A dermatologist removed my genital warts by electrocautery. Will they get transmitted to another person even after removal?

Query: Hello doctor,I noticed genital warts two weeks after exposure and got confirmation from a dermatologist. They were very small and were removed by electrocautery. My doctor told me that I would be getting the vaccine as well. Can the immune system clear the human papillomavirus (HPV) after one or two...  Read Full »

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no cure for human papillomavirus (HPV). Removing visible warts does not necessarily reduce the transmission of the underlying HPV infection. However, in addition to surgical treatment, topical antiviral medicines are recommended. HPV vaccination is required af...  Read Full »

I noticed bumps that looked like skin tags after having unprotected sex. Can you please help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male who had unprotected oral and genital with a massage therapist sex last month. After nine days, I noticed a bump that looked like skin tags, but I was scared it might be genital warts. My questions are: 1. Could the be genital warts be shown after nine days? 2. Can geni...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Yes, this could be a genital warts caused by HPV (human papillomavirus virus) infection, and yes, it can be transmitted with oral sex and during unprotected intercourse. However, the only way to diagnose is to remove it and send it for ...  Read Full »

I have white vaginal discharge, which is more than usual. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had genital warts last year, which has been treated. I got Pap smear, HIV, VDRL, and HSV tests, and all tests were non-reactive. I have white vaginal discharge, which is more than normal. The discharge is not smelly, and I do not have any itching. I have done an antibiotic course also, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest you get an ultrasound done to find out if there is any infection in the pelvis. Also, your partner needs to be treated; otherwise, he will keep passing the infection back to you. Please have him visit a urologist and seek treatment. For further querie...  Read Full »

What are the small flesh-colored bumps on my fingers?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had eczema on the inside of my right hand for about ten years now. It seems like it has slowly started to heal. But now I have a new problem popping up. There are small flesh-colored bumps on my fingers that are multiplying in clusters. They look and feel like small clauses. Aft...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your clinical picture (attachments removed to protect patient identity). You have rough raised slots on your fingers. These are palmar warts. Wart is a viral infection caused by the human papillomavirus. This is a contagious condition. It will spread to other ...  Read Full »

I had HPV and LEEP 12 years ago. Are my current symptoms due to cancer?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 32 year old female. I had HPV and LEEP 12 years ago. Now, I have the following symptoms: Bleeding during sex. Heavy periods. Extra painful abdomen pain. Heavy feeling of fatigue and headaches. Could I have cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Gowrimeena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All the symptoms you have mentioned warrant a doctor visit with a full examination and Pap smear as a minimum, and colposcopy to be very sure. With your HPV and LEEP background, it is even more important that you get this done on priority. In all probability, it may be...  Read Full »

How to cure the wart-like growth on my foreskin that is recurrent?

Query: Hi doctor, I had wart-like growth on my foreskin. I consulted a doctor, who asked me to get a circumcision done. So I got the circumcision done. The biopsy result showed that they were viral warts (condyloma acuminatum), and the doctor gave me tablet Valtoval for a month. After going through the int...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. You are right in saying that genital warts are caused by HPV (human papillomavirus), and even the biopsy of the excised skin confirmed the same. Although there are some reports that Valtoval (Valacyclovir) has some eff...  Read Full »