Human Papilloma Virus

Human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most common virus that spreads through sexual contact. Infection with HPV can cause genital warts and cancer.

Can HPV be transmitted by kissing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a few warts on my leg and a barely noticeable wart on my penis. My doctor said that they look like HPV. He advised me to apply antifungal and steroid cream and wear condoms. The cream was not very effective even after four days. Can it be something other than HPV? Will condom...  Read Full »

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, a condom will prevent transmission. No, HPV will not get transmitted by kissing. The lesion on your leg can be due to HPV (human papillomavirus), but its probability is low. Genital warts regress spontaneously within months or years, but, the guideli...  Read Full »

Can you please interpret my Pap smear report?

Query: Hi doctor, About three months ago, I got a Pap smear for the first time and it came back with abnormal HPV positive. My doctor did not really go in depth. So, I proceeded to get another Pap smear with another doctor about a week and it came back normal. I asked the doctor about my HPV and he said e...  Read Full »

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No need to get any further HPV (human papilloma virus) test as the repeated Pap smear was normal. Besides that, the more important thing in a Pap smear report is the histopathology. From what you say, it sounds as of the type of cells in the smear was normal. There is not...  Read Full »

What is the possibility of a wart on the major labia to be vulvar melanoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have vulvar melanoma. I found I have something like a wart on my right major labia and I read it can be melanoma. I think it was all black before but I can't be sure. I have done blood work, liver and renal funtion tests that came back normal. Chest x-ray is also normal.   Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). See, vulvar melanoma is a rare cancer, and usually a disease of older women. I would like to know if you have any itching or pain at that site or any bleeding from that pigmented area...  Read Full »

Can high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion in the cervix resolve on its own?

Query: Does High-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion in cervix go away on its own? Two years back, during pregnancy atypical cells were shown. Last year, biopsy came back High-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions. Had leep procedure last year. A week later they called and said it spread past the margin...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Answer: Hi Welcome to icliniq. com Thanks for reaching out with your query. I am happy to help you. I am sorry that you couldn't recieve a good follow up after LEEP. I am unable to download/ open the file you have sent. Let me give you some information that might help you. Based on studies on the natu...  Read Full »

Can wart present as weird bump on tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got a weird bump on my tongue and I am worried if it is a wart. I noticed a cauliflower like bump on my tongue last night. It has been there for a few days since I could feel it in my mouth but I only took a close look last night. I can move the tip around and it does not hurt....  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for sending a detailed history. The picture you have sent is not focussed on the lesion (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I would request you to resend a more clear photo of the same using the back camera of the cell phone so that the clarity i...  Read Full »

Will genital wart turn cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male in 30s and noticed three skin warts a few months ago but I thought they will go by themselves but they are not going. Though I did not notice much increase in size since I first noticed them but I am feeling some itchiness on these for the last few days. Otherwise, I am ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First thing, warts can be acquired by non-sexual contact also. As you mentioned about the massage, it is highly possible that you acquired it from this source only. My first advice is do not touch these warts frequently as it can lead to the spread of warts to other...  Read Full »

How is HPV diagnosed?

Query: About a month ago I had a Pap smear that came back abnormal, and was told I have hpv. My dr then did a colposcopy two weeks ago. I got a call today saying that it came back normal. What does this mean? Do I still have hpv? Do I just have low risk hpv? I have never experienced warts.  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Icliniq. There is a difference between all the tests you underwent. To make it clear for you I will explain one at a time. 1) Pap smear - it's a test used to screen if a women can be harbouring cancerous or precancerous cells over the mouth of the uterus ( i.e. CERVIX) , so basic...  Read Full »

What does it mean if I test positive for HPV with abnormal pap test?

Query: Hello doctor, My gynecologist told me that I had an abnormality in my pap test, and I have HPV. Eventually, she will need to look at my cervix to make sure what strain it is. The information she gave me was very bland. All she told me was that if I have sex just use a condom, which I always do. But...  Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. May I know what was the abnormality detected on your pap smear? As per your gynecologist, if you have got HPV (human papillomavirus) infection (high-risk HPV strains), that is responsible for the development of cervical cancer, you need to be further evaluated. So y...  Read Full »

What does a genital wart look like?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a protected sex with escort 15 days ago. We did not kiss or do anything without a condom. Today, I noticed a bump next to my scrotum that looks like a wart. I cannot remember whether it was there before. I just noticed it today and it seems to burn. It terrifies me that it may be a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and honestly it does not seem to be anything related to sexually transmittable disease. It is not a wart too. You did not mention whether it is painful or exhibiting any other sym...  Read Full »

What are the flesh-colored bumps on my tonsil?

Query: Hi doctor, I have two yellowish tint flesh colored bumps are connected on my tonsil. They form an alphabet "B" if you look at the side of them. They do not hurt and it is smooth with no irritation. I have had allergies and stuffiness for months now. I am really scared of HPV. I am a hypochondriac. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details you have given me your throat seems to be normal. The tonsils are seen very clearly in the picture you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Do you have any other complaint anywhere else? HPV - human papilloma virus generally form papill...  Read Full »