Q. I am 50 years old. How can I reduce pigmentation using natural elements?

Dr. Theresa M. Gregory

How can a 50-year-old person reduce the pigmentation by using natural elements?

#

I assume you are referring to hyper-pigmentation, most often caused by UV rays exposure, and hormonal imbalances. Laser treatment can be very beneficial, but it is expensive.

There are natural solutions, which can be quite effective. It is best to try a little bit on an area of skin that is not usually exposed to make sure that it does not cause too much irritation or an allergic reaction. Test it before you apply it to your face or other exposed areas that are pigmented. Here are some suggestions you can try, one at a time:

1. Apply a homemade face mask made with milk and honey, and leave it on the face for 30 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.

2. Lemon is amazing at lightening the skin. Dab it on the skin and leave on for 10 minutes, twice daily, then rinse. If you can find licorice root or a skin cream containing licorice, that is also beneficial to rub on with the lemon.

3. Raw potato is used often, grated and mixed with lemon, apply for 20 minutes twice daily for a month.

4. Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal portions, apply for two minutes, then rinse.

5. Many skin creams use pure vitamin C for discoloration. Look at your store for a vitamin c serum, you could apply to your skin.

6. Rub vitamin E on your face at night.

Natural supplements that you can take to decrease the pigmentation are:

1. Turmeric 500 mg three times a day with food.

2. Vitamin B complex, taken daily with food.

You can eat strawberries, cherries and especially pomegranate fruits, which decrease the melanin production which causes pigmentation.

Try to stay out of the sun. Wear hats, and sunglasses, and use a good sunscreen with at least 30 SPF (sun protection factor).

I hope that helps.

|