Q. I am 37 years old and hypertensive. Kindly assist in lifestyle management.

I am 37 years old. I have a problem with hypertension. All my reports regarding heart are being uploaded here. Please advise me on what should be my lifestyle changes for the betterment of the function and health of my heart. I am currently on Inderal 20.

#

Your reports show minor derangements (attachment removed to protect patient identity), like BP (blood pressure), is slightly elevated, and lipid profile is mildy deranged. Echo shows minor changes of hypertension, and ECG shows sinus tachycardia only.

So you need to monitor your BP frequently say three times a day for a week period, and if BP remains above 140/90 mmHg for most of the times then you will need medications for it. You should buy an electronic BP apparatus for the same and take three readings at a time with the arm being relaxed and resting on the table.

You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty oily and high-calorie foods. Have less sweets, avoid fried fast food. You should have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity and try to achieve some weight loss. Regular exercises will gradually bring your heart rate down and also bring BP in the normal range.

You should repeat your fasting lipid profile after three months to see the response, and if there is no response then you may need medications.

Please tell me whether my heart capacity, i.e. that is my echo shows 64% is satisfactory or normal.

#

It is normal. More than 55 percent is normal.

|