Q. I am 37 years old and hypertensive. Kindly assist in lifestyle management.

I am 37 years old. I have a problem with hypertension. All my reports regarding heart are being uploaded here. Please advise me on what should be my lifestyle changes for the betterment of the function and health of my heart. I am currently on Inderal 20.

#

Your reports show minor derangements (attachment removed to protect patient identity), like BP (blood pressure), is slightly elevated, and lipid profile is mildy deranged. Echo shows minor changes of hypertension, and ECG shows sinus tachycardia only.

So you need to monitor your BP frequently say three times a day for a week period, and if BP remains above 140/90 mmHg for most of the times then you will need medications for it. You should buy an electronic BP apparatus for the same and take three readings at a time with the arm being relaxed and resting on the table.

You should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty oily and high-calorie foods. Have less sweets, avoid fried fast food. You should have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity and try to achieve some weight loss. Regular exercises will gradually bring your heart rate down and also bring BP in the normal range.

You should repeat your fasting lipid profile after three months to see the response, and if there is no response then you may need medications.

Please tell me whether my heart capacity, i.e. that is my echo shows 64% is satisfactory or normal.

#

It is normal. More than 55 percent is normal.

| 

Related Video

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article

Blood pressure seems unusually high in 4 year old. Is there a problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a nephew who is 4 and a half years old. He is quite active as a child with a normal height and weight according to his age. Two days back we happened to measure his blood pressure at home normally. We were quite taken aback as it was 144/100 and later also it was around 130/96 ...  Read Full »

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»