Q. I have pain in my shoulder and chest with a headache. Is this due to my high blood pressure?

Answered by
Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 24, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 27 years old. My BP is 157/110. I often suffer from pain in my nape down to my shoulders. Headache is like my daily ordeal. In the past few days, it is hard for me to go to sleep. I feel so tired during the day, and I am wide awake at night. I feel so tired the whole day but having trouble getting some sleep. Today, I have a sharp stabbing pain in my chest. I thought it would be gone quickly as usual, but I suffered the whole day. What should I do and what is the problem?



Welcome to

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

As we can see, your blood pressure is high, the pain and headache are only due to it.

So if we control your BP, then everything will be fine.

  • Can you please tell me since when do you have these symptoms?
  • Is this the first time you checked your BP?

High blood pressure is not standard in young people, so I would suggest to recheck it.

Then do a blood CBC (complete blood count) test, and you can consult a nearby cardiologist for your high blood pressure.

Please tell me,

  • Are you taking any medicine for BP?
  • Is there any anxiety or stress?
  • Are you taking any medication currently?

Please answer.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

I am suffering from headache and tiredness every now and then for a few years now. I only checked my BP today. I am not taking any medicines right now. I am currently having an anxiety due to work.



Welcome back to

Fine, in such case, your blood pressure needs to be monitored, and please get blood test done. For headache, please take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg once a day after meal for three days. Please reduce stress level; otherwise it is not suitable for such young to have high BP. Maybe the BP reading is not right. In such cases, you have to visit a nearby health clinic. The specialist will check your BP that will be more precise, and then will treat you.

Do not worry much.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Hypertension: Overcome the Highs

Diabetes and other metabolic syndromes ... Check for blood glucose levels to know your level of diabetes risk ...   Read full

Worst Headache Ever? It Could be Brain Aneurysm!!

.. is a potentially fatal condition that needs emergency care. This article helps you understand this condition and educates you regarding your treatment options .. ...   Read full

I have high blood pressure and feel chest pain. Please help.

.. could be related to gastroesophageal reflux or muscle pain. I recommend taking an antacid and Acetaminophen. If the pain persists, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and some tests as follows: Resting...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.