I am suffering from high blood pressure despite taking medication. What should I do?

Q. What are the effective medications for persistent hypertension?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2023 and last reviewed on: Dec 13, 2023

I take Twynsta 80/5. My blood pressure increased after eating from outside. Cardiologist wanted to change the medicine to Sevikar 40/10, but now I checked at home to monitor my BP I got these numbers, (177/99, 150/91. 148/84. 156/88, 175/100. 139/91. 144/88) mmHg.

I also got the number last night very high. I do not know if it is because the air conditioning hit on me. I got 212/115 mmHg and 185/100 mmHg. Then when I covered myself with a blanket, I got back to normal, and I noticed my BP became very high before sleep at night.

I searched online and saw that Olmesartan Medoxomil will hurt kidneys in the long term and will not function well. So I was concerned about switching to Sevikar.

Should I continue with Twynsta 80/5, or I change it to Sevikar 40/10?

#

1. Avoid smoking and other addictions.
  2. Reduce salt intake in the diet.
  3. Reduce fatty food, junk food, and saturated fats.
  4. Avoid stress and anxiety.
  5. Do regular moderate-intensity exercise, such as brisk walking for 30 minutes.
  6. Have a proper night's sleep, at least 8 hours per 24 hours, including at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
  7. Reduce weight even if the weight is within the normal range.
  8. Drink plenty of water.
  9. Do deep breathing exercises and meditation.

Measure your blood pressure while relaxed. Sit for five minutes in a quiet room without talking to anyone. Empty your bowel and bladder before checking your BP. Avoid tea or coffee 30 minutes before checking BP. Sit on a chair with feet on the ground, back supported, hand supported on the table, and cuff at the heart's position. Check BP, and repeat after 5 minutes again. Then check BP in the other arm and repeat after 5 minutes. During the entire period, remain relaxed and quiet. Arm with higher BP readings is your BP. You may take at least 2 or more readings; an average of the readings is your actual BP.

Continue your medicine and check blood pressure daily; make a chart for two to three weeks. If the average BP remains above 140/90 mmHg, the dose can be increased to 5/160 mmHg and 10/160 mmHg in that order.

If any time BP becomes very high, relax and measure again after 5 minutes.

|