HomeAnswersCardiologyhypertensionI have chest pain that gets exaggerated with a deep breath. Why?

Why do I have chest pain that radiates to the sternum while lying and worsens during a deep breath?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At June 6, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 13, 2023

Patient's Query

I have a previous history of frequent palpitation with a heart rate of more than 170 bpm along with SOB and lethargy. For the past 1 week, I have got chest pain on the left side during relaxation and the pain is sometimes worst with a deep breath. Sometimes I feel pain when I am lying down and the pain is radiating to the mid sternum. Sometimes it feels like a sharp pain and sometimes it feels like continuous pain. So I thought of consulting you regarding my concern.

I would like to suggest you to have take an ECG (echocardiogram) done at the time of the palpitations or alternatively Holter monitoring (a tiny, wearable gadget that monitors the heartbeat) for 24 to 48 hours can be taken if the palpitations occurs daily. Without ECG (echocardiogram), it is not possible to diagnose the cause of fast heart rate. Chest pain what you described is nonspecific, and does not fit into diagnosis of any serious cardiac illness. I will suggest you to have an ECG (echocardiogram) done as mitral valve prolapse sometimes can produce such symptoms over time. If symptoms are prolonged. Hope I answered your question. Thanks and Regards.

Investigations to be done

Do ECG (electrocardiogram), Holter monitoring, Echocardiography, and Serum TSH.

Differential diagnosis

The differential diagnosis are atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia, sinus tachycardia.

Treatment plan

Depends upon diagnosis and other comorbidities.

Regarding follow up

Have a follow-up after one week with these reports.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

chest painhypertension

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Cardiology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy