Q. I have recently lost a lot of weight and having shortness of breath. Why?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I want to know if I have hyperthyroidism. I have recently lost a lot of weight. Even if I eat a lot, I do not seem to be able to gain weight. I also get shortness of breath sometimes. I tested my TSH. It was around 1, my free T3 at 3.39 and T4 at 1.44. I am having this issue for six months. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Thyroid reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) are normal, but it depends because it has already passed a few months, so that time it was normal. Please repeat the test once and then let me know because such weight loss can be due to hyperthyroidism, ongoing infection, or several deficiencies. Along with the thyroid function test, I would suggest you do a blood CBC (complete blood count) test, LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test), and urine analysis. All these tests will help to know if there is any infection or what is the reason for severe weight loss. I suggest you take Multivitamin 500 mg tablet, one tablet before sleeping for seven days. Take more fluids and fruits.

Can you please tell me how many kilograms did you lose? When did you do the thyroid function test? Do you have any other symptoms such as anxiety, stress? Please let me know so I can suggest medicine accordingly.

|