Q. What ayurvedic medicines are used to treat hyperthyroidism?

Dr. Swati Totla
Published on Dec 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33-year-old unmarried female. I have a colloid nodule, hyperthyroidism, and uterine fibroids. My thyroid test report shows T3 to be 2.79 ng/mL and T4 is 13.14 ug/dL. I have attached reports for your reference.

Dr. Swati Totla

#

I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

According to Ayurveda, it is totally excess growth in the body which is kapha and vriddhi. You start following the medicines. It will take definitely very long time. I am giving you one month course.Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

• Kanchanar Guggulu two twice a day before food.
  • Varanadi Kashayam 10 mL twice a day after meals with equal water.
  • Kuberaksha vati one twice a day.

In addition, I need your detailed history of your menstrual cycle, digestion, motion, food habits, lifestyle etc. so that I can suggest diet and exercise.

For more information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

My menstrual cycle is normal. With regards to digestion, I get hard stools three to four bowel movements per day. Food habits, mostly vegetarian and rarely fish. With regards to lifestyle, I do not work and I am unable to do household work due to pain. Are these medicines for all the conditions including thyroid?

Dr. Swati Totla

#

The medicines are for both problems but now the main thing is to correct digestion.

If constipation is there, I suggest you take Swadishta Virechan Churna one teaspoon (5 g) every night with warm water or tablet Eranda Haritaki one to two tablets at bedtime. Adjust the dose according to your bowel movement. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Do not eat dairy products, fruits, salads and chat items after 6 p.m. Decrease the consumption of fish.

With respect to my previous consultation, I am taking Kanchanar Guggulu and Varanadi Kashayam. Rest of the two medicines are not available here. What can be done? Also, I forgot to mention last time that I am taking Methimez 10 mg thrice daily after food. I had started this course for hyperthyroidism & nodule issues. Shall I continue taking it with the ayurvedic medicines? Can you please mention some of the foods that I can take? Is it ok to have rice, chapati, green gram, mushroom cabbage, green tea, tea with milk, and curd? I am also having dry skin and hair fall issues. I believe this is due to my underlying problems. Can you please let me know what to do?

Dr. Swati Totla

#

Along with Kanchanar and Varanadi. I suggest Kuberaksha Vati too. You check it online. If you do not get it, take Gomutra Haritaki in the same dose. After completing these three medicines, I will change the course.

Along with the allopathic medicines, you can take ayurvedic also. Maintain 10 to 15 mins gap. Your hair fall problem is due to hormonal changes. Eat daily five to seven almonds. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Apply warm coconut oil on your hair weekly twice. Apply any herbal shampoo for head bath. Use only Luke warm water for the head bath.

Avoid cabbage, cauliflower, soya products. Other fruits and vegetables along with rice and chapati are fine for you.

What ayurvedic supplements can I take for hypothyroid?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 38 year old female. Recently I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I am on Levothyroxine and having lots of side effects with my current medication. So wondering any alternate Ayurveda supplement that I can take instead?  Read Full >>

Dr. Swati Totla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So, first of all, you do one blood test called anti-TPO so that we come to know that your problem is autoimmune or just only because of hormonal changes. By the time take following medicines. Kanchanar Guggulu - 2 twice a day before food. Hansapadyadi kashayam (k...  Read Full

Suffering from subclinical hyperthyroidism with anxiety and palpitations.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my 15 year old daughter. Her symptoms have developed most significantly over the past few months, and include depression, weakness, constant light-headedness, shortness of breath (even when sitting still), difficulty taking a deep breath (ca...  Read Full >>

Dr. Minal Mohit Vohra
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, It is really sad to know about your daughter. 1. As a matter of fact your daughter seems to have acute thyroiditis. Though the thyroid profile has not shown full blown thyrotoxic state, she has subclinical hyperthyroidism with TSH being suppressed. Since how long has she been like this? Thyroidi...  Read Full

Please suggest ayurvedic treatment for a cyst in the testis.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a cyst in one of my testes, and the nervers in my testicles are swollen. I came to know this through ultrasound. I heard Kalarachi powder mixed with pepper and castor oil can be applied on my testicles to cure the above said problems. Please guide me on how to proceed with ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. Kalarachi powder is a Siddha medicine, and it is used to treat hydrocele in males. A hydrocele is a problem where water is present in testes. As far as the cyst is concerned, you can give it a try because it does not always have 100 % results. ...  Read Full

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now