Q. I found myself talking to my loved one in sleep. Why?

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

In the middle of my sleep, I feel like I have virtually talked to my close one. Suddenly, when I awake, I realize that he is not beside me. Why am I getting such feel?

#

• I completely understand what you are feeling after this strange situation where you found yourself talking to your loved one in the midst of the sleep and then you just woke up.
  • This is quite a normal sleep phenomenon in most of the people and research shows that everyone can experience this condition at least once in life.  But, generally people do not share this to doctors due to fear of labeling themselves as mentally ill.
  • The occurrence of mere hypnopompic hallucinations is nothing to worry about, however, if you find any other sleep related problem then this is the matter of concern.

There could be associated psychological condition such as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is explained by the bouts of sleep during any time in the day, even a person may sleep at workplace. This causes extreme disturbance and requires medical or psychological treatment.

If hypnopompic hallucinations are the only thing you have experienced and no narcoleptic bouts are present, then this is the indication that you are going through normal process of transitions during rapid eye movement sleep.

Hypnopompic hallucinations (auditory type).

There is no particular medical or psychological treatment for mere hypnopompic hallucinations. However, some doctors prescribe medicines to treat the disturbance that is anxiety caused by this condition.
If you are fine with your hypnopompic hallucinations after learning that it is a normal thing, then you do not need any further treatment. If you find yourself worried about your condition, then you can just take a counseling session with a psychologist.

I appreciate that you just noticed this phenomenon and consulted a specialist. If you find any other psychological factors such as narcolepsy, then this is the alarming point. Just get the problem treated as soon as possible without any hesitation and delay.

Also, check if there is any other sleep related problem present such as nightmare, sleep terror, narcolepsy, etc. You can consult a sleep specialist in order to rule out these conditions.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

| 

My son is feeling sleepy all the time. What is his problem?

Query: Hi doctor,My son of 23 years is feeling sleepy all the time, walks while sleeping, sleeps while standing and falls asleep while traveling in a car. He has concentration problems and very irritable. He is overweight. Of late, even his speech is not very clear. What is the problem? Which specialty doc...  Read Full »

I have been facing excessive sleeping. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been facing excessive sleeping for the last two weeks. Even after having a sound sleep for 6 to 8 hours at night I find it difficult to wake up. I feel sleepy all day long. If I think of taking a nap in the afternoon, then it again lasts for 3 to 4 hours and aga...  Read Full »

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now