Q. 29-year-old seems too tired, sleepy, and moody. What is causing this?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 11, 2022

This is for my son. We have got his blood tests done. He is on Thyronorm 500 mcg one tablet per day in the morning. Off late, he has mood swings. Sometimes he seems to be active and sometimes too tired. He sleeps a lot, maybe about nine hours in the night. On holidays, he tries to sleep in the afternoon also. He is about 5 feet 10 inches and weighs 90 kgs. His age is 29. I checked his nails and the bottom of the feet, and they seemed fine. There are no cracks, etc. He has no numbness in the feet or in the body. For the past few days, he has been having a dry cough, for which he is taking cough syrup. Kindly help.

#

I just read your query about your son, and it appears that your son has hypothyroidism and vitamin D deficiency. The combination of hypothyroidism and severe vitamin D deficiency can give rise to the symptoms that you have mentioned.

I suggest giving him a Vitamin D 50000 IU tablet once weekly after lunchtime for three months. Please give him a tablet of Calcium 500 mg once daily after lunch. Continue Thyronorm at the same dose.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

|