Q. Can hypothyroidism be cured with only ayurvedic medicines?

Dr. Alka
Published on Oct 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I would like to know if my hypothyroidism can be cured without taking the synthetic hormones, through Ayurveda only. In the allopathic approach, the hormone needs to be taken for the rest of one's life and I am a bit scared of it. It is possible I may also be diabetic and will need to treat this as well. Can these conditions be successfully dealt with through ayurvedic treatments alone?

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query and saw all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The thyroid gland makes thyroid hormones on a regular basis because it is necessary daily for metabolism and for other body functions. That is why when it is prescribed on a daily basis and one has to take it for a lifetime whenever it is not secreted properly by the gland.
  • Your TSH is higher than the normal range. But, it is not too high. You can take this Ayurvedic treatment for 15 days and repeat your TSH. If it increases, you have to take hormonal therapy. If it gets controlled then consult me after 15 days with the report and for further management. These medicines will also help you in the management of diabetes. However, your current sugar level is high and you should take Metformin as per your doctor's advise. Once your sugar level is controlled, then you can start taking Ayurvedic treatment so that it can be controlled further. Because diabetes not only raises your blood sugar level but also affects other organs.
  1. Take Tablet Kanchanar Guggulu two tablets two times a day with lukewarm water after food for 15 days. Do not swallow these tablets, first chew them and then take it with lukewarm water.
  2. Capsule Ashwagandha two capsules two times a day with water after food for 15 days.
  3. Gokhru Kadha 15 ml two times a day with water after food for 15 days.
  4. Capsule Punarnava two capsules two times a day with water after food for 15 days.
  5. Along with this take healthy diet.
  6. Get adequate sleep of six to eight hours. Sleep before midnight and try to sleep around 10 PM.
  7. Avoid TV, laptop and mobile one to two hours before sleeping.
  8. Do moderate exercise daily. Go for a walk daily at least for 30 to 60 minutes.
  9. Do not take excessive stress. If you face the problem of stress, then do meditation and breathing exercises daily.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer. For more queries, you can consult me at icliniq.

For more information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

Will taking Ashwagandha for perimenopause symptoms cause any side-effects?

Query: Hello doctor, I am thinking of using Ashwagandha supplements (400 mg) to help with my perimenopause symptoms. I would like to have an extensive list of side effects if there are any. I have no known illnesses and take no medications apart from Omega 3 twice a day.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ashwagandha is a very potent ayurvedic medicine. It has very good effect in neurological issues. It helps to improve your immunity and metabolism. It is very helpful in perimenopause symptoms. You can take 3 gm Ashwagandha powder or 500 mg Ashwagandha tablet twice a day...  Read Full

Do low TSH level and Low FT4 mean hyperthyroid?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. (col) Rakesh Karanwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Low levels of both TSH and FT4 indicate that the problem is at Pituitary or Hypothalamus level and NOT Thyroid. Also, your thyroid is NOT hyperactive and your thyroids are apparently functioning normally. You will therefore require further evaluation to localize the site o...  Read Full

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your symptoms are not related to thyroid issue. You could be having a viral infection. So, I suggest you to take tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the me...  Read Full

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now