Q. I am hypothyroid and weighs about 100 kg. Can I get pregnant?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
Published on Dec 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 14, 2019

I am 36 years old and weigh about 100 kg with no medical conditions except for hypothyroid. Can I get pregnant?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You surely can become pregnant. Keep a watch on your weight and keep thyroid under control by maintaining TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels around 3.5.

Obesity usually is associated with insulin resistance and may be PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) in your pelvic scan. First, take a fair trial especially on your ovulatory days (pregnancy days), and work on the above factors. You will have to continue antithyroid drugs during pregnancy also.

| 

I have another question that I need to ask. My husband has psoriasis and hepatitis B. Will it cause any effect on the offspring? Please let me know what else I need to take care of as I am really anxious at this point of time. I do not have any other medical conditions. Which medicine do you suggest for thyroid?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

This is a serious issue and of concern that your husband is hepatitis B positive. The most common route of spread for hepatitis B is sexual contact. Are you vaccinated against it? If yes, get your titers done and get a booster dose if required. See whether you are fully protected or not? Tell your husband also to consult a gastroenterologist and take proper treatment.

Regarding transmission to the offspring, there are high chances of transmitting if the mother is positive. But treatment is available (immuno-prophylaxis). Psoriasis can also show up in the baby but not necessarily. Both of you prepare yourself by the time you conceive. Medication for thyroid is tablet Thyroxine (Thyroxine sodium). The dose will depend upon your TSH levels.

| 

Why are dreams about being pregnant so common?

Query: Hello doctor, Why are dreams about being pregnant so common? What might a dream about being pregnant mean? What might it mean if you are not trying or wanting to be pregnant in real life? Or, conversely, if you do want to be pregnant in real life?  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »