Q. Hypothyroid patient. Suggest any pre-workout supplement other than Nitrous Oxide.

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Mar 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

Dear Doctor,

I have hypothyroidism. My TSH level is higher than the normal range. T3 and T4 are fine. I go to the gym regularly and like to lift heavy weights. I am taking pre-workout supplement - Nitrous Oxide. I heard that this is not good for me but I want to take some pre-workout supplement. What should I do? Should I take some other type of supplement for strength, energy, focus, endurance?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. That is a very good question.

• You are right. The supplements which you are taking are not good for you when you have hypothyroidism. It can have adverse effects in the long run.
  • I understand you require a pre-workout supplement for the strenuous exercise you do.
  • WHEY PROTEIN is a better alternative. In fact, there are studies that show that whey protein, when taken in moderate amounts, provides the protein necessary for normal hormone production. That applies to your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) also.
  • The best way to consume protein is in its natural form, as in meat, milk and sprouts. But that may not be sufficient to cater your needs when you do strenuous exercises like weight lifting.
  • Hence I suggest whey protein for you.
  • It is best taken as a pre-workout drink and as a post-workout drink too, within 15 minutes of completing your workout.

Revert back to a nutritionist online for further queries --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Doctor,

I am already taking whey protein but protein do not give me enough strength which I get from a pre-workout supplement. Without a pre-workout supplement, I am not able to increase the weights in gym. I keep using the same weights for 1-2 months.

If I should not take Nitrous oxide, then please suggest some other pre-workout supplement to get strength.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

I understand your concern.

• Since you have hypothyroidism, you are not left with many choices in this aspect.
  • Whey protein is the only safest option available.
  • All other supplements will have some kind of adverse effect on your clinical condition.
  • It is a better idea to build muscle with healthy food options like intake of lean meat and sprouts.
  • It might not really help you to lift very heavy weights.
  • But it is definitely better than having trouble with your thyroid gland or any other organ of your body.
  • Exercise regularly and eat healthy.
  • Take your medicines correctly.
  • You will do very well in terms of health.
  • When it comes to lifting weights, I would say do whatever best you can. In an attempt to lift heavy weights, you should not end up taking supplements that may cause more harm than helping you.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Protein Supplements - Types and Need

Article Overview: The indiscriminate use of protein supplements can do more harm than good. This article aims to increase awareness about various types of protein supplements and who will benefit by taking them. Read Article

Dr. Vishal Wadi
Nutritionist

What are Protein Supplements? Protein supplements are concentrated forms of protein that are isolated from food sources. All protein-rich foods contain carbohydrates and fats along with protein. Hence whole foods do not provide lean protein. Who should take Protein Supplements? Those who have h...  Read Article

Ask a Nutritionist Now