Q. Please suggest best medicine for hypothyroidism in diabetics person.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 03, 2020

My father is suffering from hypothyroidism and was having thyroxine 137.5 mg for the past four months but on his own started 125 mg from the past two months.

Report readings:

T3 - 1.04.

T4 - 12.60.

TSH - 0.11.

He is a diabetic and even had angioplasty done. Please suggest the best for him.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your father has overcorrected his thyroid. He must take 100 mcg Thyroxine only. Repeat his thyroid test after three months, only TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

His diabetes is not controlled. I would like to know his medications name, dose, and times per day. He has some urine infection. Likely because of high blood sugar, once sugar gets controlled, the infection will resolve. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.

Please do not change the dose of Thyroxine on your own as it can be risky in patients with heart disease like your father.

| 

Medicines for diabetes are as follows:

1. Tendia M forte - one tablet once a day at night.

2. Xigduo 10/1000 - one tablet once a day in the morning.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Add tablet Diamicron MR (Gliclazide) 30 mg after lunch. Check his blood sugar regularly with a glucometer at home. Regular diet control by avoiding rice, etc. Regular three monthly HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) test with fasting blood sugar and TSH. Regular diabetes and thyroid follow up.

| 

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Diabetes

Article Overview: The number of people being diagnosed with diabetes is drastically increasing. To know how diabetes affects your heart, kidney, and brain, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Diabetologist

What Is Diabetes? Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a condition that affects how your body uses blood glucose or blood sugar. Glucose is an important source of energy for the cells in the body, and it is the main source of fuel of the brain. There are many types of diabetes depending on the cause, b...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now