Q. Please suggest best medicine for hypothyroidism in diabetics person.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 03, 2020

My father is suffering from hypothyroidism and was having thyroxine 137.5 mg for the past four months but on his own started 125 mg from the past two months.

Report readings:

T3 - 1.04.

T4 - 12.60.

TSH - 0.11.

He is a diabetic and even had angioplasty done. Please suggest the best for him.

#

I read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that your father has overcorrected his thyroid. He must take 100 mcg Thyroxine only. Repeat his thyroid test after three months, only TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

His diabetes is not controlled. I would like to know his medications name, dose, and times per day. He has some urine infection. Likely because of high blood sugar, once sugar gets controlled, the infection will resolve. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.

Please do not change the dose of Thyroxine on your own as it can be risky in patients with heart disease like your father.

Medicines for diabetes are as follows:

1. Tendia M forte - one tablet once a day at night.

2. Xigduo 10/1000 - one tablet once a day in the morning.

#

Add tablet Diamicron MR (Gliclazide) 30 mg after lunch. Check his blood sugar regularly with a glucometer at home. Regular diet control by avoiding rice, etc. Regular three monthly HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) test with fasting blood sugar and TSH. Regular diabetes and thyroid follow up.

|