Q. Can I-pill cause delay in periods?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2020

My age is 28. I had a unprotected sex a month back, but only the top part of penis inserted ingto the vagina. It was not a full sex and the sperm was on the outer part of vagina. Actually I am confused. Later I took an Ipill after one hour. I missed my periods this month. I took a pregnancy test with showed negative result. After 7 days today, I took a test with Prega kit and Cipla kit .Both results are negative. But I am so tensed about my periods. Am I pregnant or is this the side effect of I-pill?

#

As pregnancy test is negative, you can wait for 10 days more for the periods to start. If no periods by that time then repeat pregnancy test. If test is negative even after 10 days then you can take tablet Norethisterone 5 mg twice a day for 5 days to get period. You should be getting periods within 15 days of finishing the tablets. The delay in periods could be a side effect of I-pill. Follow up with me in need. Take care.

This is my serum beta hCG report. Please help me. I do not want this pregnancy. And problem is I am going out of station for one month and I cannot go to meet any doctors there. I am too scared. Please help me. Reply me as soon as possible.

#

I feel you should repeat beta hCG from other laboratory after 48 hour of this report and follow up. This value by current laboratory signifies that it is negative, not pregnant. So confirm that after 48 hours of the first report. Let me know the value.

I got my periods 2 days before. And pregnancy test is negative. Is there any need to do a blood test again. Kindly suggest.

#

Good that you got your period. There is no need to do blood test now. Keep period dates noted in a calender. Avoid unprotected intercourse. Take care.

|