Q. How does i-pill prevent pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2021

How does i-pill prevent pregnancy? Does it stop ovulation and fertilization, or does it stop implantation? Also, what is the minimum time in which fertilization happens post-sex?

#

I-pill is an emergency contraceptive pill, and it works in two different ways. If you are in the first half of your ovulation cycle, it prevents the ovaries from releasing eggs. If you are in the second half of your cycle and the egg has already been released, it creates conditions to avoid fertilization and prevent implantation.

These pills are also high hormone-based and lead to a delay or early period by up to a week.

Also, what is the minimum time in which fertilization happens?

#

Once ejaculation takes place inside the vagina, millions of sperms start swimming towards the egg. The fastest ones also take approximately 30-45 minutes to reach an egg. A few take more than 24 hours to reach up to the egg. After a sperm meets an egg, it takes 24 hours for the egg to get fertilized. This fertilized egg then moves to the uterus and is implanted there. So we can say that it takes the earliest 24 hours and the latest 72 hours for the fertilization to take place.

|