Q. I am bleeding heavily after taking I-pill. How to reduce this bleeding?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

I had unprotected sex last month, and I took I-pill after three days. Last month, my period was delayed by a week, and when it came, it lasted for about 12 days. I got my period on the tenth of this month, and I am bleeding very heavily. I had to change three large pads a day. There is no pain as such, but my lower abdomen feels bloated. I am worried due to excessive bleeding. Also, I had a big bowl of papaya before my periods, which may have caused heat in my body. Please help. What should I do to lessen the bleeding? Are there any risk factors?

#

Let me clear your doubt one by one.

• It is natural to bleed during menstruation, some woman experience bleeding for 1 to 2 days and some for 7 to 8 days, which is normal. Actually, bleeding is normal as far as you are not loosing more blood. And the best way to check whether you are bleeding more is to see your hemoglobin level, serially two times, 2 to 3 months apart.
  • It will let you know whether it is decreasing or not. If the hemoglobin level is decreasing, then your body is not supporting the blood loss and it is abnormal for your body and your lifestyle and you require some treatment for it. But, if it is not affecting the hemoglobin level, then be happy and no need to take any medicines for it. Why take medicines if it is not affecting your health?
  • Secondly, when you take I-pill, it can delay your menses and at the same time, bleeding can be heavy or less according to the time and day of your cycle when you take the tablet. So, if it is decreasing, then no need to worry, but if it is more and you are really scared of bleeding then consult a nearby doctor.
  • I do not know your weight, but if it is more, then try to reduce some weight. It will help you in your menses because it is hormones which affect the uterus and menstrual cycle. And the hormones are affected by the body weight distribution.
  • For more bleeding, I suggest you try taking Ethamsylate for 2 to 3 days. Mostly, your doctor will prescribe it. You can also try using oral contraceptive pills for two to three months if you want. It is not harmful, but drink more water and do not miss the tablets.
  • I also do not know whether you have a child or not. If you have and if you are currently breastfeeding, then continue it or increase the frequency. It will help decrease the bleeding. 

Hope my answer helped. Do get back if you have any doubt.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|