Q. I have not got any withdrawal bleeding after taking I-pill. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Deepali Raina

I am a 22-year-old female. I have had irregular periods since the beginning. I was sexually active, and I had protected intercourse before six months and had my period on second of very next month after having sex. I had sonography done, and the reports said only slightly enlarged ovary. I have not had my periods till date. Its been three months now.

Please advise what could have gone wrong. I recently had unprotected intercourse on last month and had an I-pill within 12 hours. Its been 10 days I have not got any withdrawal bleeding. I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it is negative. I started having Primolut N to induce my periods. What are the chances of pregnancy? And what should I do to regularize my periods?

#

The chances of pregnancy are close to zero. Primolut N for period induction is good, but it is unlikely to work for you if I-pill did not give you a withdrawal bleeding. You may be suffering from PCOD. Please get your blood tested for LH, FSH, TSH, free testosterone, prolactin, DHEAS. Also, do your insulin fasting and transvaginal ultrasound.

If the diagnosis of PCOD is confirmed you will have to take oral combined hormone pills with a prescription. That will regularize your periods and give contraceptive protection too. Also, your weight is towards the higher side. Try to lose weight that will help too.

I did a pelvic ultrasound three months before and was no sign of cyst, and only my left ovary was slightly enlarged. I will go for one more ultrasound as advised and will do the test as well. Just wanted to confirm if withdrawal bleeding does not occur, does that mean that contraceptive pill has failed?

I have had I-pill before also, and I always got withdrawal bleeding after five days after having it, and this is the only time I have not got it. Do I need to worry?

#

No, the pill works anyway. For progesterone to act on your endometrium which is the inner lining of the uterus, the lining needs to be primed with estrogen. Lack of withdrawal bleeding indicates a hormonal imbalance. The chances of pregnancy in your case are anyway low due to hormonal disturbance.

|