Q. I took I-pill thrice in the last one week and now have delayed periods. Why?

Dr. Sujata Mittal

My husband and I had unprotected sex multiple times on the 7th, 8th and 14th. I took an I-pill on the 8th, 9th and 15th morning, within 12 hours of intercourse all the three times. I did not get my periods on the 13th as expected. Is there a chance of pregnancy? Today is the 20th and I still have not got my periods. How long should I wait to take a pregnancy test?

#

You need to understand that these are hormonal medicines and meant for emergency contraception and not for routine use as they can disturb and disrupt your cycles and can cause irregularities in your periods and even lead to ovarian failure. You cannot consecutively take them so many times.

Further, you were in your safe period. So, why did you take the I-pill in the first place, that too for three consecutive days? You are playing with your health. Even having sex multiple times a week will deplete your body.

Now, your periods will be delayed for a long time, even up to three weeks. Avoid contact till you get your periods.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for valuable reply. I genuinely thought that it I was not in my safe period. Can you please educate me about when exactly is a safe period? Because I am honestly confused. And one more question, I was planning to take a pregnancy test today as it has been a week since I missed my periods. Is it the right time to take a pregnancy test? And if it turns out to be negative, should I take it again after another week's time just to be sure? Please advise me on the same.

#

• You can take a pregnancy test to avoid stress but avoid contact as your cycles are now disturbed and erratic ovulation can occur. You can repeat the pregnancy test after 10 days but, I do not think you will be pregnant.
  • You can consider using a barrier method of contraception such as a condom or vaginal tablets.

|