Q. Is an expired I-pill effective?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

I took I-pill four days back, but after taking it, I noticed that it had already expired three months ago. Is there anything serious? Will the I-pill be ineffective?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Since the pill was expired, it is likely to fail and not be able to prevent a pregnancy.
  • Side effects as such are not expected. However, please do a pregnancy test and check if periods get delayed.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you for the reply. It is only 18 hours since I took the expired I-pill. So, how to prevent pregnancy now? Please help.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You can take another dose of I-pill, but be prepared for abnormal bleeding in the next period.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »

I had bleeding after taking I-pill. Was it periods or withdrawal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I had taken a pill and got bleeding. I thought it was periods because I had little cramps but that bleeding was so light and it lasted for three to four days. After that I had protected sex two weeks back but to be complete sure I took another pill two days later and my periods was du...  Read Full »

Should I take an emergency pill if I only had foreplay?

Query: Hello doctor, I had foreplay with my partner yesterday. We both were having some fun. He actually inserted a finger into my vagina though not deep. He was not sure if he had touched his precum or not. Also, his penis touched my vagina two to three times though he never inserted. Should I take an I-p...  Read Full »