Q. What is the side effect of consuming I-pill twice in a day?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

I took one I-pill yesterday morning at 11 AM and then had an unprotected sex at 11 PM. Do I need to take another pill? What is the side effect of consuming I-pill twice? What is a regular birth control?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• I-pill is an emergency contraceptive drug. These drugs have actions for about 72 hours.
  • It is advisable to take the drug immediately after intercourse. You had intercourse within 12 hours of taking a pill and there is no need to take the pill again.
  • There are no significant side effects of taking pills twice, but these pills are hormonal pills and can cause hormonal imbalance. If such emergency-like situations are frequent, then better to start taking normal OCPs (oral contraceptive pills) or ask your partner to use condom.
  • Normal OCPs or regular birth control pills are pills that should be taken regularly and help to prevent pregnancy.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

Did you mean that there is no need to take pill again? Can you suggest the name of the regular birth control pill? How to use these kind of pills? We always use condom, but many time condom has been broken or leaking. While using regular birth control pill, is there a need to use a condom?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Yes, no need to take again.

If a condom is being used regularly, then in my opinion, no need to take regular pills. Keep I-pill for emergency situations.

OCPs are available in many brands. A gynecological consultation is advised prior to starting OCPs.

The pills should be taken from the 5th day of menstrual cycle till periods occur, which is for about 21 days. Then again start with 5th day of the next cycle.

These also have some associated side effects. If you are not married and have no children, then for some time avoid OCPs.

If you like to take OCPs, then no need to use a condom.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|