Q. My bowel movement is not satisfactory. Is that a symptom of IBS?

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Around 3 to 4 years ago, I had normal bowel movements. My bowel movement was good enough that I had to wake up to go and felt quite empty, except sometimes I had to go in the evening and also no farts. I then moved to a new place and I think the water changed; still I was quite fine with two times bowel movements. I then moved to another place due to work where the water was not quite good in taste. I stayed in the same place for about 15 months. Here, my BM changed and I did not use to get the feeling of complete emptiness. I had to go in the evening every day. After a bowel movement, I used to get lots of burps and farts in the night.

Now, I have moved back to the place where I was 4 years ago, but my current situation is still the same. When I wake up, I do not get the normal urge for bowel movement. When I go to the toilet, initially, I will get farts and then stools. Though I go to restroom for three times in a day, I do not get the feel of emptiness. Is this IBS? I do not feel constipated and I do not have a complete watery stool or diarrhea. I feel quite normal other than the disgusting farty feeling during the day and the irritation that I have to go to the toilet more than three times a day. I do not what is wrong with my digestion or colon.

#

• It seems that you have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). If there is a problem of recurrent bowel gases, then you can take treatment initially for that. If not relieved, then can undergo colonoscopy.
  • You should also do yoga daily.
  • Initially, please start on the following medications. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Rifastop (Rifaximin) 400 mg twice daily for seven days.
  2. Sachet Imubless (Lactobacillus) twice daily for seven days.
  3. Syrup Pegclear 25 mL (Polyethylene glycol) at night with water for five days.
  4. Tablet Pantakind flux (Pantoprazole) once in the morning on empty stomach for seven days.
  5. Tablet Tryptomer 10 mg (Amitriptyline) at night for five days. Please stop Tryptomer if you feel excessively sleepy on the next day.
  • In addition to the above, do daily exercise like jogging or brisk walking.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Will this treatment cure both bowel movements and gas problem? I am regular for gym around four to five days a week and aerobic exercises.

#

• Yes, it will normalize your bowel movement.
  • Also, you can discuss with your doctor and take tablet Normaxin (combination of Dicyclomine, Clidinium bromide and Chlordiazepoxide) instead of tablet Tryptomer.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|