Q. What causes 5 mm ulcer in the mid ileum?

Published on Jan 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2020

I had a capsule endoscopy done a few months back along with a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I have symptoms of diarrhea, constipation, bloating gas, and abdominal pain. My GI doctor could not find anything significant except for acid reflux and diagnosed me with IBS. I was reading the report of the capsule endoscopy and it said there was a 5 mm ulcer in the mid ileum found, but of unknown clinical significance. Is this nothing to worry about? My GI doctor never mentioned this finding to me. Can it be causing some symptoms I am experiencing?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Your symptoms are suggestive of IBS only. Such ulcers are found incidentally. Mostly they have no value. I would need to know if H.pylori test was performed. Can you send me the report?

| 

I was tested positive for H.pylori but already had the treatment done a while ago. I just have not been able to see any improvement of symptoms with any medications I have tried. The only thing else is that I had a urine culture done recently because I was in the hospital for stomach pain, and it showed group B strep. I had a repeat done two days ago and waiting for results. Can this possibly cause any symptoms?

#

Actually, this urine infection is unrelated to your previous issues. Antibiotics for a few days would cure this urinary tract infection. Since you have been treated for H.pylori, then you do not need worry for that ulcer. You have not mentioned what treatment for IBS you have been taking. There are very good medicines for IBS, but life style modifications like morning walk, yoga help the most. So, any day you feel comfortable, you may discuss IBS treatment with me. As far as your query is concerned, you need not worry for that ulcer.

| 

How to cure ulcers and mouth stiffness developed due to pan chewing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got ulcers in my mouth due to chewing pan masala, and I have stopped eating it now. I am unable to eat spicy food and hot foods. I have developed stiffness in my inner mouth. So I am unable to open my mouth. Please suggest.  Read Full »

I have ulceration on my penis years after a risky exposure. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,In my teenage, I used a condom that was already used by someone, laying on the street. I have done the same thrice or so. After that, I got wound, sores and also ulceration on my penis. The same was recurrent occasionally and after that its occurrence was rare. Now, I am 34 and right no...  Read Full »

How to cure IBS?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male. For the past few years, I have been dealing with diarrhea and I am just simply tired of it. Thankfully, I work from home and I do not have to leave the house in the morning hours. I have always been a healthy person and non-smoker. But, I have an average of tw...  Read Full »