Idiopathic Orthostatic Hypotension

What causes increased head pressure, vision backout and dizziness while bending down?

Query: Hello doctor,I have increased head pressure when lying down, vision blackout when bending over, intense pressure when prone, and raising elbows. It is so bad I feel like I will pass out. My vision has gotten worse in the last year. This is more of a chronic issue. No headaches but some TMJ pain. I c...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your symptoms. Please answer the below questions, and then I can help you in a better way. Do you get a ringing sound in your ears (tinnitus)? What is vision loss like? Is it the same for both eyes? Is there a peripheral constriction of vision?...  Read Full »

Can dehydration result in dizzy feel and lightheadedness?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. For about four weeks, I have been experiencing lightheadedness. It happens a few times each week. I never pass out, but I get very hot and feel like I might pass out. I have also not had an appetite. I have lost about 5 pounds from not being hungry. I went to the doctor...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are too young to have high blood pressure. There could be many reasons for dizziness. The most important one is being orthostatic hypotension if you are on a blood pressure (BP) medication. Others could be thyroid disorder, anemia, vitamin B12 deficiency an...  Read Full »

Why do I feel dizzy when I get up suddenly?

Query: Hello doctor,Almost everytime I suddenly get up from sitting or laying, I feel very dizzy for about five to 10 seconds. I am better the longer I stand, it is just initially I am dizzy. I recently had a CBC, blood glucose, thyroid, and kidney function test that came back normal and during my physical...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very common to feel this way when one suddenly changes his/her position from lying down to standing very abruptly. One should not abruptly stand up from lying position. It happens due to the sudden flow down extremities from above. So, due to a sudden change i...  Read Full »

Why does the left side of my head hurt, and I cannot sleep properly?

Query: Hi, I’ve not been able to sleep properly for the past 2 days and I feel like I might have a migraine because I feel pain on the left side of my head and my left eye hurts a lot. Another problem is when I get up to fast like if I’m laying down and get up everything gets dark in front of my eyes ...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran

Answer: Hello, so sorry to know that you are going through such a pain. You could be correct about the migraine . However i would be glad to know something about the headache . How long the headache stays ? How frequent you get headaches ( how many times a week ), Do you get vomiting sensation at the time ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to fly when you keep passing out a lot?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from dizziness. I was getting lightheaded and close to fainting. Lately, I have been passing out a lot. I have an early morning flight tomorrow. Is it safe to fly? Is there a possibility of me fainting on the plane? My current medication includes Prozac, Trazodone and Gabap...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you complaint of frequent passing out, I will advise you to see a doctor to examine you and find the cause behind it. However, the most common cause of frequent pass out can be orthostatic hypotension. It means that when you get up fast there is not enough blood supp...  Read Full »

Please explain the echocardiogram taken for a couple of near syncopal episodes.

Query: Hello doctor, The patient is a 17-year-old male with 6'1" in height and 185 pounds weight. The primary doctor ordered an ECG and an echocardiogram because of a couple of episodes of near syncope recently. The episodes occur after sudden standing, and we were told it might be due to dehydration and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1) Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a condition in which there is asymmetrical septal hypertrophy. LVOT (left ventricular outflow velocity) velocity is 1.97m/s, so there is no LVOT obstruction. For the long term, we need to do a follow-up echo to see for any incr...  Read Full »

Why does my heart pounds when I stand up?

Query: Hi doctor,  I am a 26 year old healthy male. My height is 178 cm and weight is 73 kg. I do exercise regularly and I am healthy too. I have recently visited a cardiologist and done a cycloergometric test (Bruce stage 4 protocol). During the test my blood pressure remained normal but my heart rate ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have worked through your query and understand your health issues. I assure you not to worry as you have consulted the appropriate expert physician who will take care all of your medical concerns. Your body mass index looks normal for this age. Thanks for attaching ...  Read Full »

What is MSA?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a balancing problem. I have low blood pressure in change of posture. I am on Midodrine. During a neurological examination, I was asked to tap my toes. Every time when I did that my heel involuntarily tapped several times. What is the reason? I am being examined for possible MSA...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and sweating on doing exercise

Query: Hi doctor, My problem started three years back for the first time when I started taking dumbbells for exercise. As I did not know from how much weight should I start, I took 20 kg (10 kg in each hands). Within a week of exercise I felt shortness of breath and so I stopped doing it and visited a doct...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for consulting me at this platform. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. I think you need to carry out taking the same medication as this is a mandatory medication. Exercise induced asthma may also cause s...  Read Full »

I have a problem of head spinning and vomiting quite often. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a constant problem with my head spinning and vomiting. Recently, this has started (during the last three months). Suddenly, it feels that my head is spinning and then after a few minutes I feel to throw up. I almost require a support during my head spinning. Afterward, (after I...  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, WeIcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). ECG and 2D echo which are showing no heart disease and cardiac output are also good. Now, we will come to your complaint. Spinning followed by vomiting, the first reason may be due to orth...  Read Full »