Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis

Why does my oxygen saturation level go down if I reduce the steroid dose?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 7 years, I was affected by chronic HP. From that time, I am in oxygen therapy and steroids 4 mg. My doctor told to taper them and stop so as per his advice I slowly tapered the dose of steroids and stopped it finally. When I stopped it, I cannot able to move or walk and also my sa...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis or HP is a type of interstitial lung disease. It is a chronic type of lung disease and treatment usually runs longer, especially with steroids and immunosuppressive drugs. As you said, you are taking steroids in tapering dose but still you ...  Read Full »

How is IPF diagnosed?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with IPF last week. My two x-rays, two lung function tests and HRCT scan showing that I had scarring. But I am confused, because I feel better than I have felt in 10 years. I have always smoked and had cough for years. I have been on a diet and have lost one stone so fa...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. IPF (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)  is a chronic, progressive and idiopathic disease. It is usually seen in old age. In this lungs become fibrosed, thickened and stiff. So, all capacities are reduced and due to this oxygenation is hampered. Your home tests are within no...  Read Full »

Please suggest a treatment plan for a patient with chronic cough.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother underwent gallbladder surgery 10 months ago. From past 3 months she started having chronic cough. She tried many home remedies. She did not recover completely. I took my mother recently for a health checkup. As I suspected the chest report was not absolutely fine. But, the doct...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for choosing this platform. As you said your mother is having chronic cough 4 months after surgery. It can be just coincidental finding as her x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is showing prominent basal vascular markings and cough can b...  Read Full »

Can we get the interpretation of pulmonary fibrosis using a chest x-ray?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been coughing since three weeks. My cough has changed from a dry hacking cough to a more productive cough with wheezing. I went to the doctor for the third time. So, my doctor decided to do a chest x-ray. Now along with a chest x-ray, the doctor advised me to have a CT scan, and b...  Read Full »

Dr. Hardik Tusharkant Bambhania

General Practitioner, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pulmonary fibrosis is a chronic, and progressive disease of lungs with unknown etiology. Clinical, physiological and radiological criteria diagnose it. When there is a suspicion of pulmonary fibrosis, a chest x-ray is the first investigation. To confirm the diagnosis, a...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for pulmonary fibrosis in an elderly?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 74-year-old male with a weight of 142 pounds and a height of 5 feet 10 inches. I take no medications except Ativan. I take vitamins. I am a non-smoker, worked in the auto body shop for two years painting cars, quit grain farming at the age of 44, minimal exposure to asbestos. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Single chest X-ray cannot diagnose lung fibrosis and further tests are required to rule out other causes. As you said, the chest X-ray was normal before a few months and now showing scattered fibrosis. It is advised to repeat the X-ray after few days. Once the X-ra...  Read Full »