Q. My 2. 5 year old daughter is diagnosed with ITP. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 19, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

My daughter is 2.5 years old. She is diagnosed with ITP last month. Initially, she had minor itching near armpits but now she is fine. She is eating well, and her weight is constantly 12.5 kg for the last one month. She had a little fever with cough and cold three days back, but now the fever is no more. She is now having a little cold and cough.

Her blood platelet level has increased from 28000 to 150000. But the CBC report taken last week shows, she has a high WBC level of 25000. While the sample was collected, she had little fever and cold. DLC report are within the normal range. RBC and hemoglobin levels are also normal.

#

I read her reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The latest report shows the normal platelet Count. So no need to worry regarding any bleeding. The total WBC (white blood corpuscles) count is high, but it could be due to an infection of the upper respiratory tract probably viral which is common in young children. Her CBC (complete blood count) needs to be repeated after the resolution of cough and common cold. Meanwhile, give her more water and fruit juices. So high WBC is due to upper respiratory tract infection according to the mentioned history. I hope this helps.

|