Q. My 2. 5 year old daughter is diagnosed with ITP. What to do?

Published on Nov 19, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

My daughter is 2.5 years old. She is diagnosed with ITP last month. Initially, she had minor itching near armpits but now she is fine. She is eating well, and her weight is constantly 12.5 kg for the last one month. She had a little fever with cough and cold three days back, but now the fever is no more. She is now having a little cold and cough.

Her blood platelet level has increased from 28000 to 150000. But the CBC report taken last week shows, she has a high WBC level of 25000. While the sample was collected, she had little fever and cold. DLC report are within the normal range. RBC and hemoglobin levels are also normal.

Hematology Pathology
#

I read her reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The latest report shows the normal platelet Count. So no need to worry regarding any bleeding. The total WBC (white blood corpuscles) count is high, but it could be due to an infection of the upper respiratory tract probably viral which is common in young children. Her CBC (complete blood count) needs to be repeated after the resolution of cough and common cold. Meanwhile, give her more water and fruit juices. So high WBC is due to upper respiratory tract infection according to the mentioned history. I hope this helps.

Why am I having low platelet count?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had blood tests done. In the past, I have had clumping platelets, then low sitting at 135 then 114 now the last two are at 103. Is that bad?  Read Full »

Though dengue is negative, platelet count is going down with fever. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old, and he was suffering from fever, headache and body pain. He also had some rashes on his face and in some parts of the hands and legs. His fever was ranging from 101 to 102.5 degrees. After a couple of days, on medication, his temperature became normal between 97...  Read Full »

Are there abnormalities in my blood reports?

Query: Hello doctor,I got a blood test done this week. The investigations are as follows: Red cell distribution width is 11.4 %, platelets count is 130 thou/UI, mean platelet volume is 13.3 fL. Morphology remarks: Gaint platelets are seen, and small clumps of platelets are seen.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now