Q. Kindly suggest the foods that can be taken when I am sick.

Dr. Alka

Kindly tell me:

1. What are some foods that are great to eat when you are sick?

2. How can these foods boost your immune system or promote healing, etc.?

3. Is it important to eat a variety of foods when you are sick, or more important to stick to a few highly nutritious staples?

4. Is there anything else someone should know about choosing foods when they are sick?

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query. Yes, food is always important especially when you are sick. Because if you take proper food you will not require medicine. When you are sick you need to take food which should be easy to digest, healthy, maintain fluid and electrolytes balance and have various nutrients. Food items include soups, khichadi (porridge made up of rice and skinned splitmung gram), daliya (cracked wheat), oatmeal, fruits (may vary from condition to condition), coconut water, herbal tea, yogurt, and dairy products (may vary in some condition).

As these foods are a source of nutrients and provide fluids and electrolytes so they help in healing from sickness and also improves immunity and provide us energy. You can shuffle food items but it is important to take nutritious food daily. Selection of food items varies from one problem to another like if a diabetic patient will get sick his food regimen will be different from a hypertensive patient or from an otherwise healthy person.

|