Q. I got my horizontally impacted tooth extracted. How long will it take to heal?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Oct 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I am 29 years old and had my lower wisdom tooth removed eight days ago. They were horizontally impacted. My question is why am I still in pain? I do not have pain in my extraction site. The pain is in the hinges of my jaw and down in my jaw bone. My extraction site looks fine, pink healthy gums and it is not swollen nor do I have a fever, so it is not an infection. I was also on antibiotic for the first handful of days anyway. I got dry socket on one side three days in and still have packing in that spot (getting it out tomorrow), but the discomfort I am experiencing is on both sides of my mouth and since I had dry socket I know it is not dry socket pain. So, what exactly is going on here? How long recovery takes? Mine were difficult to extract and more invasive due to the fact they were horizontally impacted? Please help.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• This type of extraction (lower wisdom tooth) is difficult and usually takes at least two weeks of healing time. It can be painful till then due to removal of some bone from the sides of the impacted wisdom teeth.
  • Think as if you had a fracture in that area; fractures usually are painful for longer duration than normal tooth extraction.
  • Do not worry; it will go away in few more days.
  • If you cannot bear the pain then take some painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs for few more days.
  • Just you have to make sure that the extraction site is getting healed and you do not have any reemergence of dry socket in that area.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I got my dry sockets packed twice already, then why is the pain not going down?

Query: Hi doctor, I had four teeth extracted a week ago, two on top and two on the bottom. I did not get numb at all, so I felt it all. I was diagnosed with a dry socket on the bottom. The dentist that I went to packed it twice now, after 4 to 5 days. As the extracted teeth were adjacent teeth, so when ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your query.Dry socket after extraction is caused due to the blood clot getting dislodged from the extraction socket. So ideally, the dry socket should be curetted, which means it should be cleaned and irrigated with medicine, and obtundent dressing m...  Read Full

I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor, I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. As per the symptoms and image attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like the extraction site is not healing as it appears empty. Yes, it looks like a dry socket, but a clinical examination is a must. You should not wait ...  Read Full

Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who is suffering from severe back pain. I am a teacher and have a 7 months old child. When I am at work, I have back pains at the end of the backbone, on the right side over the kidney. I got an ultrasound and an x-ray of the back. And I do not have any kidney s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns The severe back pain that you have mentioned, suggests some spine related conditions probably IVDP (intervertebral disc prolapse), which might be aggravated by your posture and strain. You can try the ...  Read Full