Q. Blood sugar fasting 97, HbA1c 6. 89 and mean blood glucose 144. Why?

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Published on Aug 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I got my blood test results today. My fasting blood sugar is 97 mg/dL. But, my HbA1c is 6.89 with mean blood glucose at 144. I am going through premenopause and I am 49 years old female. Please help.

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have read your message. I think I can help you.

• This is suggestive of a possible impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). I would suggest getting an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT).
  • While many do consider it out of date, I think in your case it would yield the diagnosis.
  • Upload the report for further suggestions. Meanwhile, start diabetic diet. Avoid sugar and high carbohydrate diet.

Revert back after the tests to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Over the last three months, I have been pretty stressful since my daughter got married 33 days back. Will this have any effect on the test? Does this mean that I am diabetic or a high disposition to diabetes?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

#

• If the OGTT comes out to be positive, then you may be a diabetic.
  • As of now, I would suggest that you have a predilection for diabetes.
  • However, high calorie diet may have influenced HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin), in which case OGTT should be normal.
  • Stress as such would not cause this.

Revert back with the reports to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

What do HbA1c of 8 and fasting glucose of 140 signify?

Query: Hello doctor, My HbA1c is 8 and fasting glucose is 140. My urine microalbumin to creatinine ratio is 116. What do these values mean?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have diabetes because both blood sugar fasting and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) are in the diabetic ranges. You also have microalbuminuria. You have not mentioned what medications you taking because both blood sugar and microalbuminuria can be contro...  Read Full

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now