Q. I have to keep my jaw forward due to misaligned teeth. Should I remove those teeth?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I wanted to ask that my one upper tooth is at the back and one is too up. And my front two teeth are forward. My lower teeth are a little misaligned. I have to keep my jaw forward because of my upper teeth, which are at the back. And at night, my jaw pains because all day I have to keep it forward. Can you tell me whether I need braces or something else? My mother was saying that she will have my teeth removed. Kindly advise me on something I do not want my teeth to be removed.

#

I understand your and your mother's concern. First of all, kindly do not experiment with yourself and let experts do the needful. Your experimenting with your jaws by bringing forward and backward can complicate the case more. Though I need a photograph, I can understand from your explanation that it is an orthodontic case and needs fixed orthodontic treatment. Go to your nearest or family dentist, a full mouth X-ray will be taken, which will help clarify the case further. If required, your dentist might ask you to get two teeth extracted. Get it done to create enough space in the jaw for proper alignment of the remaining teeth. The time that will be taken to complete treatment can be told only after seeing the X-ray. I hope this was helpful. Please get back if you have further queries.

|