Q. How can concentration be improved?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I cannot concentrate because when I study I feel I am not able to memorize. I want any medication maybe for 1 month for concentration. My doctor gave me Bupropion but it is no good for me.

#

From your query, I can understand that you are having difficulties related to poor concentration. There can be different reasons for struggling with poor concentration. More information will be needed to clarify the etiology behind poor concentration so that you can be guided about getting appropriate medication and treatment.

How long have you been experiencing concentration difficulties? Was it present when you were a child and did you have problems with studying whilst at school? Or did the concentration problem start in recent months or years? Are you experiencing any other difficulties? Are you sleeping well? Are you eating normally? Are you using any alcohol or recreational drugs? If poor concentration has been a problem since early childhood, you need to be assessed for neurodevelopmental conditions like ADD/ADHD. Following a comprehensive assessment, if you fulfil criteria for ADD/ADHD, stimulant medication can be considered to improve concentration and inattention difficulties.

Stressful situations and conditions like depression, anxiety can also cause poor concentration. I see that your doctor has prescribed Bupropion which is a helpful antidepressant medication. Have you been having problems with low mood ? How long have you been taking Bupropion? If it is not effective despite taking for more than 6 weeks, discuss with your doctor about optimising the dose or alternative antidepressant needs to be considered. Also, physical health problems like low iron levels, low thyroid, etc can also cause concentration problems. So this needs to be ruled out as well. So, if you are able to provide further additional information regarding your symptoms we can guide you appropriately.

Yes, I think I have the problems since childhood. But I do not use any drugs or alcohol. My doctor prescribed me Bupropion because he said it can help me with the concentration. My last blood everything was normal. My question is can you prescribe medication? Yes, also when I was a school had the same problem but any psicólogo told me has any condition. I do not have problems with depression.

#

Your doctor is right as Buproprion can be useful to improve concentration. You need to take an optimum dose of Bupropion for atleast 6 weeks to see any improvement. Usual dose will be around 150 mgs/day but can be titrated up to 450 mgs/day depending on tolerability. If you have been having problems with concentration since childhood, discuss with your doctor about possibility of ADD/ADHD. If ADD/ADHD is present, other medication can be considered to improve concentration.

Regarding your question about prescribing medication, unfortunately I cannot do it as my prescription will not be valid in your state. Prescriptions can only be provided by doctors licensed by your state medical board in the city you reside. I can only provide guidance and advice through this portal which you can discuss with your doctor for further clinical assessment.

Thank you so much.

#

You can contact us again for any further guidance as needed. Take care.

| 

Why do some students lack interest in studies?

Query: Hi doctor,First time, when I was in the hostel I acted like fainting. So, they took me to the hospital and after checking BP, the doctor said it was low. The next day, I got very high fever and came home. Then after some days, I went hostel as I had kidney pain. I was brought here and had a scan. Th...  Read Full »

I am not able to focus on studies because of my thoughts. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a student and I like to watch cartoons a lot and read comics. I want to study but I am not able to focus and put my mind to study. Whenever I plan on studying, my thoughts are filled with events of comics. How can I put these thoughts out of my mind?  Read Full »

Everything You Should Know About Sleep Positions and Directions

Article Overview: Did you know that your sleeping position and direction can affect the quality of sleep? To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Sleep Medicine Physician

Sleeping towards the east or west direction helps to get undisturbed sleep, as the blood circulation is believed to improve in these directions. A good night’s sleep is essential to improve concentration and reduce stress. It is very important as humans spend one-third of their life sleeping, ...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»