Q. How can I increase my concentration in studies?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2022

I am a 20 year old medical student. I have a big problem with my studying techniques, and I find it rare compared to others. First things first, I am lazy to study, not because I am lazy in general, but because I do not understand a word. Even if I understand something, it gets evaporated from my mind within minutes. I am not able to pay attention during lectures, and I do not find it useful. Honestly, I attend lectures just for the attendance sake.

But, just before the day of exams, I understand whatever I read, and I somehow manage to pass. I only fail if I could not finish reading due to any reason. My concentration power suddenly improves before exams. But once I am out of the exam hall, everything vanishes from my head. Is there any solution for this? If I am ill on the day before the exam, then I definitely flunk. Honestly, whatever I write in the exam is the result of what I read on the previous day. I know that this type of studying habit is not at all ideal for the profession I choose. So, please help me. Please provide useful information about the same. Also, suggest a way to approach and solve this problem.

#

I can understand your concern. You have issues of poor focus and inability to maintain focus or concentration.

The loss of performance after the day of exams is due to anxiety of performance, which is seen in a lot of individuals. But since you are passing the exams, then better to ignore this anxiety and with time you will see improvement in yourself. Avoid thinking about this again and again. For lack of focus or poor concentration, you should get your vitamin B12 and D levels checked. Deficiency of vitamin B12 is one of the main reasons for poor focus and loss of concentration. Exercise daily and have diets rich in proteins, complex carbohydrate, and low in fats. This will also improve your performance.

Thanks and take care.

|