Improve Platelet Count

How can platelets count be increased in a dengue patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend has been diagnosed with dengue fever since last week evening. His platelets were 1,35,000 five days back, then decreased a day later to 1,17,0000. Then next day night he was admitted in hospital because his platelets reduce again and count was 80,000. After admitting, his pl...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, admitting the patient will not lead to an improvement in platelet count. The patient will be advised admission when the platelet counts are low because of the risk associated with bleeding due to low platelet count. Secondly, initially, there will be high-...  Read Full »

How to increase platelet count during dengue fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She has been suffering from fever for five days. Her fever is in the range of 99 to 102 degrees. When we visited a doctor, he asked for a blood test. The blood report shows that she is positive for dengue. The platelet count has dropped already to 52000 from 1,...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through the data you have posted. Low platelet count occurs in almost 70% of people with dengue fever. Normally, in case of disease the platelet count may go low for four to five days and then starts rising. Low platelet count (<100000) has risk of bl...  Read Full »

What to do next if one is tested positive for dengue?

Query: Hello doctor, A relative of mine is admitted to a local hospital and tested positive for dengue. His platelet count was checked thrice. The first time they checked it was yesterday afternoon, and the count was 83,000. The second time they tested him yesterday evening and the count was 81,000. The th...  Read Full »

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Internal Medicine Physician, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fever with body ache is one of the typical symptoms of dengue fever. There is absolutely no need to worry as long as the platelet count is more than 20,000/cmm. Only if this threshold is crossed, there is a risk of bleeding. Even in such situations, there is an optio...  Read Full »

Why has platelet count gone down after CABG?

Query: Hi doctor, My father underwent CABG before six months. Till then he was on Clopilet alone. His platelet would remain 150000. After CABG, he has been put on Ecosprin and after that his platelets remain 110000 to 140000. Is that fine? He has no other complaints. Is there something we can do to improve...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on our query, my opinion is as follows: Platelet count at any time above 1 lakh is always good. The minimum platelet count, most of us expect is 50000, below which mild risk of bleeding starts. Hence, 1.1 to 1.4 lakhs is indeed good and not to be worried about. All...  Read Full »

Can a son donate platelets to his father?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is suffering from a low platelet count due to leukemia. Can I donate platelets to my father? Someone at blood bank told me that son's platelet will not increase the count to a parent. I am in search of a donor for my father.  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Platelet count is reduced in leukemia because the cells in the bone marrow produce platelets known as megakaryocytes that are replaced by the leukemic cells. If your father is receiving chemotherapy then also all the blood counts including platelets will be reduced. Yo...  Read Full »

My grandmother has a platelet count of 10,000. Will she be alright?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandmother is having a platelet count of 10,000. She is currently on her blood pressure medication. Of note, at the age of 52, she was operated for severe menstrual bleeding. However, there is no sign of cancer in our whole family. Today is her transfusion. Will she be alright? I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) apart from a punched out lesion on the skull. There seems to be no abnormality. Generally, a lytic lesion in the bones of an elderly person would raise the suspicion of multiple myeloma...  Read Full »