Q. How to treat my dark upper arms?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

I am a 26 year old female. My upper arms are so dark and I also have some small sand like bums. I noticed this since I was 15 years old. As my skin is quite fair, it looks obvious. Please suggest me some advice.

#

• It may be amyloidosis (protein accumulation as insoluble fibres in tissues). For better clarification send me a few clear photos.
  • Please do not use any puming stone or rub the skin harshly as it may cause such lesions. Use gentle soap and avoid friction.
  • I suggest a topical cream like Retin-A gel(Tretinoin gel). Consult with your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with clear photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Here is the picture of the discolored upper arms. I have been using Betnovate-N cream for small bumps. The bumps have vanished mostly, but still have black marks. Please suggest any cream to get rid of black marks.

#

• You can stop using Betnovate-N. You can try with Retin-A gel in night and use sunscreens if needed.
  • Take lots of fruits and vegetables and use gentle soap.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have been using Retin-A gel as you have suggested since two months, but there is no improvement. It is like KP (keratosis pilaris). Is there any other remedy for this? Please suggest me.

#

• You can increase the percentage of Retin-A gel to 0.1 % in the night and take vitamin A rich foods.
  • If still does not subside, then consult your dermatologist for other options like laser, dermabrasion, etc.

For further information, consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|