Q. I can sleep only after taking Seroquel 800 mg. Do I need to take it for life?

About three years ago, I went seven days without sleeping. I was hospitalized, and they tried everything to get me to sleep, but nothing worked. Finally, after seven days, they put me on Seroquel, and it worked. Now, I must take 800 mg every night to sleep. I tried to wean myself down, but as soon as I went down to 600 mg, I could not sleep. Will I have to be on this medication all my life?

Dr.Saravan Pramod Settipalli
MBBS., MD INTERNAL MEDICINE
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I want to inform you that you are having insomnia, which means sleeplessness,

• Insomnia is classified based on the duration of the problem. Symptoms for less than one week is transient insomnia. Symptoms for one to three weeks is short-term insomnia. And those longer than three weeks is chronic insomnia.
  • The causes of insomnia are as follows:
  1. Changes in the shift at work.
  2. Excessive or unpleasant noise.
  3. Uncomfortable room temperature (too hot or too cold).
  4. Stressful situations in life.
  5. The presence of an acute medical or surgical illness or hospitalization.
  6. Withdrawal from drug, alcohol, sedative, or stimulant medications.
  7. Insomnia related to high altitude.
  • The treatment option includes meditation, regular physical exercises, medication like Lorazepam, and stress-free life. It will help you in this situation by treating the root cause. I would like to know about your past medical history.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I do not have any room temperature or job problems, and I am a disabled veteran. I have had this problem since the war, and I have been on Lorazepam, all the other SSRIs, and sedatives. And the only thing that works is 800 mg of Seroquel.

Dr.Saravan Pramod Settipalli
MBBS., MD INTERNAL MEDICINE
General Medicine, Internal Medicine

• Your symptoms are suggestive of mood disorder, which make you feel uncomfortable. As an initial line of management, the patient will be started on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). If the response is insufficient, then antipsychotics like Quetiapine is given, which you are already on.
  • I will rather suggest you go for psychiatric counseling, as it will make you wean off the drug slowly, rather than stopping it abruptly, which will cause neurological or withdrawal symptoms.
  • And that was good to hear that you are a retired veteran back from war. Applause for your courageous act. As you had a stressed job, it will take time to adjust the body to normal momentum and regular circadian. I hope psychiatrist counseling will improve your present situation.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Also Read Answers From

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.