Q. What could be the reason for my husband's persistent sleep issues?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

My husband has had sleep issues for the past three months. We consulted a doctor the last month, and he recommended the tablet Lonazep 0.5 mg, but it has been a month since he started taking the medication. However, his condition has not improved, and he still has sleepless nights. I feel so sorry for him as I am not doing anything to help him. Please suggest some good medicines that will help improve his condition.

#

I can understand your situation. Your husband might have a major depressive disorder or underlying stress. There is non-pharmacological management for it. I suggest you try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it.

1. He should exercise daily for 30 to 45 minutes and go for a walk. Then, ask him to join the gym or swim, which will boost his confidence.
  2. He should do meditation for 20 minutes daily. He should sit in a comfortable position and concentrate on his normal breathing, Do not stop or force himself to control his thoughts, as it will help him relax.
  3. He should eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid junk foods.
  4. He must drink enough water.
  5. He should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if they are living away from him.
  6. He should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills, language, or musical instruments.
  7. He should take seven to eight hours of sleep daily and have a fixed rest time.
  8. He must not do any other activities in bed.
  9. He must not lie down on the bed without any reason because the bed is just meant for sleep.
  10. Wear loose and comfortable clothes before going to sleep.
  11. Eat something light at least three hours before sleep.
  12. He can take a nap of 20 minutes daily.
  13. Do not use your mobile or laptop at least half an hour before sleep.
  14. Try to maintain the adequate temperature of your room.
  15. Have a proper bed and pillow.
  16. Make sure there is no noise or disturbance at night.
  17. He can drink warm turmeric milk before going to sleep.
  18. He must avoid tobacco, alcohol, or any substance abuse.
  19. Please give him a reason to live his life and ask him to be bold and confident.
  20. He must stop overthinking.

If the symptoms persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, I suggest you start the tablet Lorazepam (Clonazepam) 1 mg. I hope that you get your answer. Please, let me know if you want some help.

|