Q. Why does my 1. 4-year-old son find it difficult to fall asleep and cry at night?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My son is 1.4 years old, and he is a healthy boy. Every night he feels very sleepy and yawns a lot, but when we try to put him in bed, he refuses and cries a lot. He is still on his mother's feed and eats solids as well. Sometimes, at midnight he cries a lot. We consulted a nearby pediatrician, and he suggested a syrup for digestion. We could not find out why he behaves like this. Kindly help.

#

Please have a check on the following:

1. Screen time (not more than two hours) at this age.

2. You should spend more time with the child and play with him for at least two to three hours a day.

3. Try to keep the child with you for sleeping and see if there is any change.

As per your description, there is no physical issue. Instead, there seems to be an emotional or behavioral issue which is quite common at this age. Do not worry. If the child is not improving in a month after the above interventions, I suggest getting the child evaluated physically by a pediatrician.

|